FRAMINGHAM – The City of Framingham is advertising for a Citizen Participation officer for the Sisitsky administration.
Mayor Charlie Sisitsky was sworn in on January 1 for a 4-year term.
The City’s first-ever Citizen participation Officer resigned in October, before the City of Framingham election on November 2. The position was posted by the Spicer administration in late November.
“Under the direction of the Mayor, the Citizen Participation Officer works with City departments and boards and commissions to engage the public using communication and outreach strategies to enhance public engagement, to process citizen complaints and inquiries, and ensure compliance with public notice requirements. This position will also analyze data on citizen engagement, complaints and inquires, and shall regularly submit reports on such data,’ according to the job description posted on January 3.
The salary range is $65,500 to $84,779
The position was created in 2018 when Framingham became a city. It is listed in the City Charter.
The CPO “performs highly responsible work of a complex nature which involves the exercise of independent judgment and initiative in planning and overseeing the administration of Mayor’s office.”
The individual “works under the direct supervision of the Mayor and Chief Operating Officer” and the City’s Chief of Staff for the Mayor.
The Citizens’ Participation Officer performs work under typical office conditions; the noise level is moderate in a busy office.
This position has frequent contact with citizens, business owners, city division heads, employees, retirees, elected officials, boards and committees. Contacts are in person, by telephone and in writing by email, fax or correspondence. Some duties are performed out in the community under varying conditions, with exposure to weather conditions.
Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree in public affairs, communications, or public administration and 3 – 5 years of experience working in community relations, local government or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ideal candidates will be bi-lingual in either Spanish or Portuguese or trilingual with both.
This position requires the operation of office computers, printer, calculator, telephone, copier, facsimile machine, and all other standard office equipment. This position may have access to sensitive or confidential information and records. Errors could result in delays or loss of service, monetary loss, and adverse public relations or legal ramifications.
- Responds to service requests coordinating with other City departments, preparing response letters and e-mails on behalf of the City and the City Council and personally communicating with residents on a regular basis.
- Provides support for individuals interested in being involved in local government.
- Devises and implements strategies to enhance public engagement
- Serves as an immediate contact for residents calling the City for assistance and serves as a representative of the Mayor.
- Establishes and maintains close working relationships with all departments for managing residents’ concerns, questions or requests for information.
- Brings appropriate staff from a variety of departments together to resolve problems.
- Assists with citywide social media to engage residents on various community issues including responding to questions, concerns and requests for information through those sites.
- Conducts follow-up with relevant departments to help coordinate timely responses to citizen inquiries and requests. • Identifies needed assistance, equipment and technologies for the implementation of public participation and communication programs to support the implementation of public outreach program.
- Trains municipal staff on the development and implementation of public participation and communication programs.
- Designs surveys to ensure citizen feedback and to improve service delivery.
- Anticipates community issues through feedback mechanisms both internally and externally and able to develop communication strategies for implementation.
- Manages aspects of the service request system (including software).
- Develops proactive strategies with departments for resolution of residents’ concerns.
- Leads and organizes community meetings when required.
- Coordinates the citywide Citizen Survey, requiring strong knowledge in constructing questions and using other tools to gather feedback from the community.
- Develops municipal public participation and communication programs and strategies.
- Researches and implement non-traditional methods of communication and outreach.
- Educates City departments and programs on best practices for outreach with various cultural groups.
- Develops, plans, and administers outreach programs and education utilizing community leaders, neighborhood groups and volunteers.
- Conducts community outreach to increase participation by underrepresented residents in City government.
- Attends community events hosted by the City, other City agencies, community organizations and ethnic minority groups to provide education on City services and information on City initiatives.
- Provides excellent internal and external customer service. Create a positive experience for clients through professional and courteous behavior and creative problem resolution.
- Coordinates special projects or outreach efforts as assigned.
- Assists with office administration, including answering telephones and greeting visitors. • Interacts with others in a positive manner.
To apply for the position visit www.framinghamma.gov/jobs