Updated at 11:03 a.m. on December 29.
FRAMINGHAM – Framingham firefighters evacuated an apartment building on Tuesday night, December 28, due to high levels of carbon monoxide.
Just before 9 p.m. Framingham Fire Engine 3, Engine 1, Ladder 3, Rescue 1 & Car 2 responded to 137 Winthrop Street for carbon monoxide alarms sounding.
Upon arrival, “companies used their multi gas meters to detect high levels of carbon monoxide (CO), from 60 parts per million (PPM) on the first floor to over 250 PPM on the third floor,” said Framingham Fire Chief Michael Dutcher.
Framingham Fire Tower 1 and Ambulance 3 responded to the scene, and “crews evacuated residents and donned self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) to search for the cause of high CO and attempted to eliminate/shutdown the source,” explained Fire Chief Dutcher.
“Companies traced source back to the laundry rooms and improper venting issues,” said the Framingham Fire Chief.
“Dryers in the laundry rooms shut down, building was vented and the high CO levels diminished,’ said Chief Dutcher.
“All occupants were allowed to return to their units, management informed to have laundry rooms serviced by a professional company,” said Chief Dutcher.
No “EMS for residents was needed,” said Chief Dutcher.
Photos courtesy of Mary-Anne Leialoha Tratchel