By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University women’s basketball team saw five players score double figures led by 19 from Flannery O’Connor (pictured) as the Rams defeated Rivier 82-53 Tuesday evening at the Athletic Center.
With the victory, the Rams improve to 5-1 overall.
With the loss, Rivier is now 3-3 overall.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- O’Connor connected on 8-of-15 from the floor for her 19 and added eight boards and an assist.
- Gwendolyn Carpenter chipped in with 16 points, nine assists, five rebounds and a steal, while Camille Desrochers finished the game with 12 points on 4-of-9 from behind the arc and added two steals and two rebounds.
- Katty Haidul finished the game with a double double as she scored 10 and grabbed 10 boards to go along with three steals and two assists.
- The Raiders were led by a game-high 20 points from Lyric Grumblatt. Grumblatt added seven rebounds, four assists, a steal and a block.
- Anna Stenger was the only other Raider in double figures with 10 points and six rebounds.
- The Rams shot 45% from the floor for the game, while Rivier connected on just 33% of their offerings.
- The Rams held a 44-34 edge in rebounds and converted 17 Rivier turnovers into 24 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first quarter saw the two teams trade the lead five times over the first four minutes with neither team leading by more than two points.
- Trailing 9-8 after a Cydney Lessard jumper with 6:28 on the clock, the Rams rattled off a 10-2 run capped by a three-point play from O’Connor to take a 19-11 lead after one.
- Rivier cut the deficit to three on a pair of occasions in the opening minutes of the second quarter, but the Rams outscored the Raiders 19-7 over the final seven minutes of the half to lead 40-25 at the break.
- The Rams continued to build the lead in the third quarter and led 51-28 midway through the frame after back-to-back threes from Desrochers. The Rams maintained the large lead throught the remainder of the third and the fourth quarter to secure the victory.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Emerson at 1 p.m., while the Raiders host Lasell on Thursday at 7 p.m.