By Framingham State athletics.
WILLIAMSTOWN – Framingham State’s Krysta Padellaro scored a career best 19 points but it wasn’t enough as Hamilton College defeated the Rams 59-53 in the first day of the Morin Memorial Tournament hosted by Williams College Friday evening.
It was the first loss of the season for the Rams, who are now 2-1 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first quarter saw each side go on 12-0 runs. The Rams opened on a 12-0 run capped by a Padellaro free throw. The Continentals answered with a 12-0 run of their own when Kelcie Zarle’s layup tied the game at twelve near then end of the 2nd.
- The even matched second frame saw five ties and six lead changes as the two teams battled to head to the locker room tied at 26 all.
- The third quarter, just like the previous two ended in a tie 39-39. The Continentals scored the first five points of the half but the Rams broke an 8-0 run to take the lead. The two side traded four leads in the quarter.
- In the fourth the teams continued to trade leads for most of the frame. With just under three minutes to play Padellaro hit a jumper to put the Rams up 49-48. Hamilton answered with a layup, a stop on defense and a trey by Zarle to jump out by four. Two free throws and another Padellaro basket cut the deficit to two but again Zarle struck from long range with 45 seconds to go. The Rams fouled to try to extend the game but Hamilton converted their free throws to close out the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Padellaro scored 19 with three boards. Flannery O’Connor added 11 points with five rebounds, four steals and four blocks. Katty Haidul chipped in ten points with eight boards.
- Zarle scored a game-high 28 points leading the charge for Hamilton. Maria Mercado Rengel added ten points with five boards.
- Hamilton shot 38.6% from the field (22-of-57) and 30% (6-of-20) from long range. Framingham shot 30.5% (18-of-59) from the floor and 19% (4-for-21) from beyond the arc.
UP NEXT: The Rams return to the court Saturday when they play host Williams College on day 2 of the Morin Memorial Tournament