By Framingham State athletics
BOSTON – The Framingham State University men’s basketball team received a double double from JD Okafor, but it was not enough as the Rams were defeated 82-50 on the road Thursday evening by Wentworth in non-conference action.
Framingham State is now 1-5 overall.
Wentworth improves to 2-2 overall.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Framingham State took a pair of leads early, with freshman JD Okafor (Boston) scoring four points in a 30-second span to give the Rams an 8-6 lead with 15:51 left. Wentworth responded with one of two free throws from senior Kyle Henseler (Coventry, R.I.) and a three-pointer from classmate Kevin Fernandez (Lawrence.) to give the Leopards a 10-8 lead.
- A jumper from sophomore Jahden Erold (Boston) tied the game, and freshman Brett Okundaye (Boston) gave the Rams a 12-10 lead with 11:05 left before Wentworth used a 15-5 run, capped off by a Tommy Dooling (Mansfield) three pointer with 6:37 left.
- Sophomore Jalen Bruce (Springfield) countered with a three of his own to cut the lead to five before a layup from senior Trey Carrier (Wilton, N.H.) and a transition three from Dooling pushed the lead to 10 with just under four minutes left.
- Framingham State cut the lead to six on two occasions, however, a three pointer from Fernandez with 2:11 left made it 35-26, which is how it would stay through the half.
- Carrier and Hacker opened the second half with baskets to push the lead to 13 before Okafor and Bruce got the Rams back to single digits.
- That would be as close as the visitors would come as Wentworth used a 27-9 run over the next 10-plus minutes to take a 66-39 lead on a layup from Hacker with 7:27 left.
- The Leopards’ largest lead of the night (35) came on a freshman Tyler Stewart (East Taunton, Mass.) layup with 2:29 left.
- Wentworth shot 55.9 percent from the floor in the second half while holding the Rams to 26.7 percent from the floor, outscoring them, 47-24.
- Carrier finished with a double-double (16 points, 11 rebounds), while Hacker was also in double figures with 11 to go along with six rebounds. As a team the Leopards had 26 assists with sophomore Sam Goy (Derry, N.H.) dishing out six and Dooling adding five. Goy also recorded three blocked shots.
- Okafor was the only Ram to score in double figures as he tallied 12 points and hauled down 10 rebounds.
UP NEXT: The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they host Suffolk at 2 p.m.