By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – Framingham State’s Ashton Collazo scored with just over three minutes to play in regulation to break a 1-1 tie to send Framingham State past Stonehill in non-conference play Tuesday night in Framingham at Loring Arena.
It was the first win of the season for Framingham State, which is now 1-5 overall.
Stonehill is now 2-4 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Skyhawks broke through in the 18th minutes of play when Brendan Nehmer carried a Drew Gardner pass through the blue line and beat Rams goalie Trevor Stenberg for the 1-0 lead.
- The Rams offense charged in the final minutes of the 1st when they sent a flurry of shots on net, one of which clanged off the iron nearly tying the game.
- The Rams tied the score in the 8th minute of the second when Stonehill was called for a hooking penalty on a Rams breakaway which gave the Rams a penalty shot. The Rams Elijah Slagter was able to convert beating Skyhawks goaltender Chase McKay.
- The Rams took the lead with just over three minutes to play when Ashton Collazo punched in a loose puck after a Johnny Baker shot was saved. After a long discussion by the officials the goal was upheld.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sternberg made 48 saves in the win for the Rams while McKay made 33 saves in the setback for the Skyhawks.
- The Rams were 0-for-3 on the power play while keeping the Skyhawks to 0-for-7 on the man-advantage.
UP NEXT: The Rams return to the ice on Thursday evening when they host Worcester State at 7:40pm. Stonehill will host Southern New Hampshire on Saturday at 4:30pm.