By Framingham State athletics
ROCHESTER – The Framingham State volleyball team was defeated by top seeded RIT in the opening round of the NCAA Div. III Tournament Friday evening at the Rochester, NY regional.
The Tigers defeated the Rams in three sets by scores of 20-25, 17-25 & 14-25
RIT improves to 25-4 and advances.
The Rams finish the 2021 season with an overall record of 17-16, were the 2021 MASCAC Tournament Champions making the programs’ fifth NCAA Tournament Appearance and first since 2016.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams jumped out to an early first set lead 1-0 and 2-1 and after some back and forth play the Rams fought to take a 15-11 lead before RIT rattled off 12 of the next 13 points to take a strong lead. The Rams battled back and cut the score to 24-20 but the Tigers clinched the game on the next rally.
- The Rams battled hard again in the second game keeping the score within two points early in the set. The two teams were tied 11-11 when the Tigers rattled off a 6-0 run to make it 17-11. FSU continued to battle, cutting the deficit back to 21-17 before the Tigers again rallied to close the set 25-17.
- The eight seeded Rams again came out strong to open the third set pressuring the top seeded RIT trailing 12-14 before RIT was able to go on a run to seal the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams were led on the attack by Valerie Sullivan with seven kills on 20 attempts. Brandee Thomas added four kills, three blocks and eight digs while Hailey Sanders chipped in four kills and three blocks. Morgan Failla served up a team high 16 assists.
- RIT was paced by Katie Hobler with 31 kills and Taylor Higgins with 27 kills and 11 digs. Cat Vento had a game-best six blocks and Sydney Neff served up 42 assists.