Editor’s Note: If a question is left blank, the candidate chose not to submit it to the digital news outlet.
Occupation: Critical Care Intensive Care Nurse
Do you have school-aged children? Yes
Do you a child attending Framingham Public Schools? Yes
Why did you decide to run for School Committee:
The best thing about the Framingham Public School District is the diversity and opportunities it offers.
What letter grade would you give Superintendent of Schools Bob Tremblay? A-
What letter grade would you give the new busing system for Framingham Public Schools? B-
What was the last Framingham Public School event you attended: Junior Jump start college forum.
What was the last Framingham High athletic event you attended: Framingham Football game at Bowditch.
Should there be more recess time? Yes
Do you support free preschool for all 4 year olds? Yes
Should police officers be at Framingham High? Yes
Should the school year start after Labor Day every year? No
Should February vacation be eliminated from the calendar? If we were to eliminate April and February and have a March break, then yes.
Would you support virtual classes at Framingham High on snow days? Yes
Framingham teachers are met with challenges of an overcrowded school system in a diverse city. From personal experience, I have been impressed with all the staff and administration I have worked with.
I would never cut money from _______________________________in the budget.
School cafeteria food needs improvement.
Should Framingham High students complete 25 hours of community service before graduation? I like the idea of something along the line of community service but
not necessarily 25 hours and not during the pandemic recovery.
I would bring a strong voice to the School Committee.
Should teachers and staff be mandated to have the COVID vaccine? Yes
Should students be mandated to have the COVID vaccine like they are mandated for measles, mumps etc vaccines? Yes
When elected, I would want to serve on the health and wellness subcommittee.
If I was asked to read to elementary students, I would want to read The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.
1) Specific criteria is used to measure a Superintendent. Criteria is used to evaluate a teacher. How should you as a School Committee member be evaluated? What three things should voters hold you accountable for after your 2-year term?
2) Even with a new contract and a new bus company, the transportation system is not working at an A+ level. Some students are consistently late for school due to buses, and some children have hour-plus bus rides home. It is a complicated issue, but in the end the School Committee is responsible for the busing contract. What will you do in your second term to fix the busing problem?
3) There are significant achievement gaps in the Framingham Public Schools. Name three things you can do as a School Committee member to help close those gaps by 2024.
4) Prior to the pandemic, many Framingham middle and high school students were stressed. The MetroWest Health Foundation studies show an alarming rate of suicide attempts. But mental health issues significantly increased during the pandemic.What can the school system and the school committee do to help the mental health of students? Identify 3 specific steps.
5) The School Committee is responsible for the budget. Do you support a level-funded, level service, or an increase in the Framingham Public Schools budget for the 2022-23 school year? Why?
6) The Superintendent received a 6-year contract by the last School Committee. Accountability is important. What three things will you hold him accountable for over the next two years?
7) One of the major roles of the School Committee is to set policy. Which policy would you like to change or propose during your 2-year term?
8) Recently an equity audit was taken of the school district. In your opinion, what is the #1 issue that must be addressed in your term that was identified by the audit? Why?
9) The Framingham Elementary Schools are racially imbalanced today. It was this issue that brought about school choice years ago. Should Framingham Public Schools be redistricted to 9 district schools as opposed to school choice? Why or why not?
10) There has been discussion, but no decision or policy finalized, to have all of the PTOs pool their funds and for all the booster programs to pool their funds for athletics? Do you agree with this concept? Why or why not?