By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – Framingham State junior wide receiver Isaiah Hanks (Chelsea) caught three touchdown passes en route to a 41-6 victory over Westfield State in MASCAC action Saturday afternoon at Bowditch Field.
The Rams are now 2-2 overall and 2-0 in the Conference.
Westfield State is now 0-4 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After the Rams forced the Owls offense to go three-and-out on the opening drive the Rams broke off a ten-play 60 yard drive on their first possession capped off by 13-yard Nicolas Goffredo (Hyde Park.) touchdown pass to Hanks.
- A few traded possessions later, the Owls again seemed to stall the Rams offense and force a punt but the Owls return man muffed the punt right near midfield. The muff was recovered by the Rams, which set up a 40-yard touchdown pass from Noah Leonard (Taunton) to Shaquille Joseph (Somerville) a few plays later. The Owls’ Nikolaos Giotsas (Ellington, Conn.) intercepted the Nicholas Gordon (Franklin) pass attempt on the extra point but was tackled near midfield on the return.
- Early in the second quarter, the Rams had a muffed punt of their own that set up a six play 31-yard drive that finished with a Peyton Capizzi (East Setauket, NY) one yard touchdown run to cut the Rams lead to 13-6. The Owls went for two and did not convert.
- After trading three-and-outs the Rams really took control of the game nearing the end of the half. A holding penalty on a 3-and-10 run that looked to secure a Rams first down was called back but on the next snap Goffredo connected with Hanks on a 39 yard touchdown pass.
- On the Owls first play of the ensuing drive Capizzi was stripped by Nick Ashley (Worcester) and Rams defensive end Gerell Boyce (Dorchester) picked it up for the scoop-and-score to send the teams to the locker room with the Rams leading 27-6.
- On the Owls’ first possession of the second half, the Rams defense once again came up with a big play. Framingham defensive end Joshua Onujiogu (Wareham) intercepted a Capizzi pass and returned it 47 yards to the Westfield nine-yard line to setup another Goffredo to Hanks touchdown.
- After another stop on defense by the Rams Marcus McBean Jr (Norwood) snapped off a 34-yard touchdown run to reach the final margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Goffredo was 9-for-23 passing with three touchdowns and one interception while Leonard chipped in a TD on three passing attempts. Hanks led the way receiving for the Rams with four receptions for 73 yards and three scores. Joseph added one catch for 40 yards and a touchdown and Elijah Nichols (Burlington) added two catches for 31 yards.
- On the ground the Rams picked up 66 yards on ten carries and a score from McBean Jr. While Goffredo scrambled for 38 yards on seven attempts.
- The Rams defense held the Westfield offense to 98 total yards led by Onujiogu with nine tackles, five for a loss, 1.5 sacks and an interception. Dylan DeWolfe (Marion, Mass.) added 10 tackles, three for a loss and Ashley picked up four tackles, a sack and a forced fumble.
- Capizzi was 12-for-24 for 72 yards and a rushing touchdown under center for the Owls. Owen Thompson (Plympton, Mass.) caught three passes for 41 yards and Danny Farrell (Milford, Mass.) earned 39 yards on four catches.
- The Owls were paced defensively by Cameran Danahy (Kingston, Mass.) who made eight tackles, while Peter Spinale made four solo tackles, three for a loss with two sacks. Marlek Connor Jr. (Rochester, NY) earned a pick and two tackles and two pass breakups.
UP NEXT: The Rams return to the field next Saturday when they travel to Plymouth State for MASCAC clash at 1pm. The Owls host Mass Maritime in on the same day and time.