In full transparency, the following is a press release from MassDOT submitted to SOURCE media.
WESTBOROUGH/SOUTHBOROUGH – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is replacing the Interstate 90 westbound bridge over Parkerville Road in Southborough and Flanders Road in Westborough from 7:00 p.m. on Friday, July 9, to 5:00 a.m. on Monday, July 12. Westbound traffic on I-90 will be shifted through a median crossover to the eastbound side of I-90.
Travel will be reduced to two lanes in each direction and opposing traffic will be separated by a barrier. Parkerville Road and Flanders Road will be closed under the bridge and through traffic will be detoured from approximately 4:00 p.m. on Friday, July 9, to 5:00 a.m. on Monday, July 12.
MassDOT is replacing bridges on I-90 eastbound and westbound over Flanders Road in Westborough and Parkerville Road, Cordaville Road, and Woodland Road in Southborough as part of the Acceler-8 I-90 Bridge Replacement Project. The project includes the replacement of the eight bridges (2 spans per local road) and is taking place over eight weekends between June 18 and August 16.
There will be advance signage in place to alert drivers to the I-90 configuration change and Parkerville Road and Flanders Road detours.
All times are subject to change based on weather or unforeseen events.
Friday Night, July 9 (beginning at 7:00 p.m.):
- I-90 westbound traffic will be shifted through the median crossover into two right lanes of what is usually I-90 eastbound
- I-90 eastbound traffic will be shifted to the right into two lanes
Monday Morning, July 12 (completed at 5:00 a.m.):
- I-90 westbound traffic will be shifted back to three lanes on I-90 westbound
- I-90 eastbound traffic will be shifted back to three lanes on I-90 eastbound
If there is inclement weather that impacts the schedule above, MassDOT will reschedule the bridge replacement operations to the weekend of July 16 through July 19.
If you travel on I-90:
- During the replacement, both directions of I-90 will be reduced from three to two lanes between Route 9 in Framingham (exit 111) and I-495 (exit 106) in Hopkinton, which will result in higher than normal congestion.
If you use Parkerville Road or Flanders Road:
- Parkerville Road and Flanders Road will be closed to through travel. Local access to homes and businesses will be maintained on either side of the bridges. The detour route map can be viewed on the website.
Plan ahead: The reduction of I-90 from three to two lanes will result in higher than normal congestion, drivers should plan accordingly.
Drivers traveling westbound through the project should be prepared for the shift into the eastbound direction.