FRAMINGHAM – The City of Framingham posted the position of Director of Veterans Services today, May 21.
City of Framingham Human Resources Director Dolores Hamilton told the City Council Finance subcommittee on Thursday night that the position had already posted, but the position did not not post until Friday morning.
The full-time director post must be a veteran.
The salary range is $65,537 to $68,185.
The director “performs supervisory, administrative and professional work in planning, organizing and directing all
Veteran services and activities for the City of Framingham.”
Applicants should have a “Bachelor’s degree in Public or Business Administration or a related field. Must be a Veteran, CMR 115, Must have four years of Federal Service. Five to seven (5-7) years of related work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job,” stated the posting.
The job must be posted for 30 days.
The director “manages and supervises employees, budgets, operations, and programs for Veteran’s Services. Performs all other related work as required.”
The director also:
▪ Meets with veterans, spouses, and their dependents to determine eligibility or qualifications for financial, medical, administrative and emergency assistance; processes application forms in accordance with Federal and State agency guidelines.
▪ Processes and investigates applications for benefits and related paperwork as required by the State Department of Veterans Services and the Executive Office of Elder Affairs.
▪ Monitors client’s needs as well as their obligations on an on-going basis; as Veterans Burial Agent is responsible for providing burial services for veterans and their dependent children without sufficient funds; oversees the graves registration process.
▪ Inquires as to alternative resources for the client, including Department of Employment, Social Security Administration, Veterans Administration and the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
▪ Prepares reports as required for the City and State.
▪ Assists veterans and spouses in need of medical attention from the Veterans Administration.
▪ Prepares and verifies monthly benefits, prepares department payroll and bills payable to the Veterans Department vouchers; prepares and administers the state formula grant.
▪ Prepares and administers an annual operating budget.
▪ Organizes and coordinates memorial activities of veterans including Memorial, Veterans Day Parades and all veterans’ related ceremonies.
▪ Works with veterans in the community to find housing, furniture, food, transportation and other needs as necessary; serves as the Mayor’s liaison to related organizations and governmental institutions.
▪ Prepares and administers an annual operating budget Chapter 115.
▪ Performs Intake based on: Demographics, Income, Shelter expenses, Medical insurances, Issue NOD, Medical applications: VA, BC/BS and Mass health, CORI, DOR: Child support.
▪ Research client’s qualification to apply for alternative sources of Income Monthly: Prepare and issue benefit checks (Mums).
▪ Calculate clients check amounts with receipts /pay slips presented: prescription and Dr. copays, medical services.
▪ Confirm Client is doing compliant job searches, child support.
▪ Apply, monitor, resolve issues (VISMIS) VS21, Confirm state reimbursement VS 5/6 Simi Annual: Verification and recalculation of all client accounts: January (Fed COLA) and July (State COLA), Manage Veteran Service’s Blue Cross/Blue Shield accounts, Administration tasks: Wellness Checks, VISMIS, NOI/NOA, Denials, Appeals, Annuities & Welcome Home and other war time bonuses: Chapter 115 assist applicants.
▪ Graves Registration Officer: Chapter 115, Prepare and maintain an Excel spread sheet of all veterans buried in Framingham.
▪ Purchase, distribute, supervise placement of a total of 4,500 veterans’ grave flags in the 7 cemeteries in the city.
▪ Burial Officer: Chapter 115: Coordinate burials for indigent veterans with family, police and Funeral Director IAW Chapter 115 Apply for reimbursement from State Grant Money: Substitute federal funding for Chapter 115 funds.
▪ Manages SFVS Evictions/foreclosures/utilities/first, last and security/VASH vouchers Community development: home modifications and repairs.
▪ Oversees Veterans tax abatement program: Recruit, supervise, evaluate performance of up to five veterans using program for property tax abatement.
▪ Prepares verification letters: Housing, Food stamp, fuel assistance, Housing applications: assist clients in applying FHA, VASH, Shelters.
▪ Acts as Crises Intervention Specialist (when required).
▪ Oversees Veteran Property tax work off, senior workers, Attend Annual Training Law Chapter 115: retain certification.
▪ Coordinates Public events (City directed): Memorial Day Program: Plan, coordinate (police, fire, invitations, location, speakers) execute (Master of Ceremony), Veterans Day Program: Plan, coordinate (police, fire, invitations, location, speakers) execute (Master of Ceremony)
▪ Updates Social Media: Maintain Framingham Veteran Services Facebook and Twitter accounts, Post on City’s Website.
▪ Files Federal Applications: Department of Defense, Discharge upgrades, Veterans Affairs, Compensation/pension, Dependent Indemnity Compensation, Appeals, Headstones, Burial reimbursement, Aid and Attendance, Health Care Application, GI Bills for Higher Education
▪ Cooperates with Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention (MCSP) MetroWest.
▪ Regional Coalition, Veterans Committees, Framingham City Meeting, Interdisciplinary Community Support Team (ICST), Framingham MCI Prison Pup Benevolent Association.
▪ Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
The Director receives written/oral guidance from Director HR, and keeps VSO Chain of Command informed as to cash flow and issues impacting city (Veterans Court, Veterans Mental Health Community Access Points, changes in CMR effecting veterans). Meetings, Emails, briefing as required. Supervision Given: Provides supervision of Assistant Veteran’s Officers, developing job direction, assigning tasks, instructions and monitoring performance.
To apply visit www.framinghamma.gov/jobs
The City of Framingham is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer.