FRAMINGHAM – Framingham Public Schools announced two finalists for the Principal position at Stapleton Elementary School.
As part of the community-focused process to hire the right candidate, community members are now invited to ‘Meet the Candidates’ at one of two virtual forums taking place next Wednesday, April 14.
Sara Costa Yuen is currently the Principal of the Phoenix Charter Academy Chelsea in Chelsea. In addition, she was a Program Director for the Non-Profit Portuguese Language School of the MetroWest Mission Hub (ProGente Connections). Prior to that Ms. Yuen taught Math and English Language Arts in the Phoenix Charter Academy Chelsea and Social Studies in the Lawrence Public Schools. Having received a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations with a Minor in Latin American Studies from Boston University, she received her Master of Education in Education Policy and Management from Harvard University.
Caitlin Shelburne is currently the Senior Director of Academic Instruction (Principal) at Making Waves Academy in Richmond, CA. In addition, she was a Director of Curriculum and Instruction and an English Language Development Coordinator at the Making Waves Academy as well as a Dean of Curriculum and Instruction in the Lawrence Public Schools. Prior to that Ms. Shelburne taught English as a Second Language and English Language Arts in the Lawrence and Burlington Public Schools. Having received a Bachelor of Arts in Education from the University of Vermont, she received her Master of Education in School Leadership from U.C. Berkeley.
The “Meet the Candidates” Forum for Staff will take place virtually on Zoom on Wednesday April 14, 7:45 am – 8:45 am. Staff members will receive the link via email before the event.
The “Meet the Candidates” Forum for Community Members will take place virtually on Zoom on Wednesday April 14, 5:40 pm – 6:40 pm. Community Members are encouraged to attend the webinar (Passcode: 243258); there will be live interpretation in Spanish, Portuguese, and American Sign Language (ASL). Attendees will be able to hear from the candidates, ask them questions, and will then be presented with a survey (that will be available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese) to offer feedback to the Superintendent of Schools regarding each candidate.
A Screening Committee established the key characteristics for the Principal of Stapleton Elementary School:
- Has experience leading a diverse community, along with knowledge of all types of learners, including students on IEPs, English language learners, gifted and talented students, and students of all socio-economic levels to a high level of growth and achievement.
- Has a vision for the school and is able to clearly communicate it to all stakeholders; Is able to analyze data to establish attainable goals, action plan, utilize resources, problem-solve, and follow through.
- Prioritizes relationship building and establishing trust with students, staff, parents, the community, and the district in order to improve teaching and learning.
- Inspires and empowers by seeing the possibilities of students and staff. Understands and uplifts each community member’s unique experience and perspective, being mindful of access, equity, race, gender, etc., and creates a community of inclusion, caring, and belonging.
- Is committed and dedicated to being a building leader who is present (physically and emotionally), collaborative, open-minded, self-aware, reflective, leads by example, and advocates for children.
- Understands the broad range of child development and prioritizes the social-emotional, behavioral, and academic needs of students using a trauma-sensitive approach.
- Leverages technology and multi-modal, two-way communication to ensure transparency, clear expectations, and understanding and support throughout the district and school community.