FRAMINGHAM – More than two dozen virtual presentations covering topics ranging from dinosaurs, to climate change and nuclear waste management, are on tap for the 2021 Science on State Street festival held between April 12-24.
Science on State Street is an annual collaboration between Framingham State’s Christa McAuliffe Center for Integrated Science Learning and the MetroWest STEM Education Network.
This year organizers are bringing their virtual presentations to a new level in order to offer hands-on activities and interactive events for all ages, as well as thought-provoking discussions with scholars and climate activists especially suited for young adults and lifelong learners.
“We are truly excited about this year’s lineup of events, which features a diverse group of presenters,” said McAuliffe Center Director Dr. Irene Porro. “The theme of ‘Planet Earth’ allows participants to explore the wonders and beauty of nature, while also examining pressing topics such as climate change, toxic chemicals and nuclear waste.”
- “Global Warming Demystified: The Science, The Consequences, And The Solutions” by Dr. Jeffrey Bennett, this year’s keynote speaker.
- “Nuclear Waste Management and its Impact on Energy, Security, and Safety” by Dr. Katlyn Turner, research scientist with the MIT Media Lab.
- “Bees in our Backyard: An Introduction to Local Wild Pollinators” led by Framingham State faculty
- The Unraveling of the World: What Climate Change Has to Teach Us with Dr. Vandana Singh, Physics Professor at Framingham State.
- “Regenerative Agricultural Business Practices to Domestic Plants for Responsible Products” with Mario Garcia Quesada, Thrive Natural Care
Events are organized into three categories: “Children and Families,” “Older Youth and Adults,” and “For the Classroom.” The last category are events designed for full elementary and middle school classes to engage with.
A full list of events, as well as instructions on registering, can be found at: https://cm-center.org/soss-age
In full transparency, photo and press release submitted to SOURCE media.