By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University softball team’s offense came alive Saturday afternoon as the Rams swept a doubleheader with Massachusetts Maritime Academy at Maple Street Field in Framingham.
The Rams received a pair of long balls in each contest as they defeated the Bucs 10-1 in the opener before taking game two by a score of 15-0, both in five innings.
With the victories, Framingham State’s rams inprove to 13-1 on the season.
This was the season opener for Mass Maritime which is now 0-2 on the season.
- In the opener, the Rams plated six runs in the bottom of the first. Kirsten Dick plated the first with an RBI single and Kelsey McGuill followed with a three run double. April Swain also added an RBI single in the inning.
- The Bucs got a run back in top of the third when Abby Pope scored from second on a wild pitch and throwing error.
- Jessica Ball added an RBI single for the Rams in the bottom of the third and a two run homer by Caitlin McCarthy and a solo off the bat of Abby Clark in the bottom of the fourth accounted for the Rams final runs of the game
- Ally Moran earned the win in the circle for the Rams going five innings allow an unearned run on three hits with 12 strikeouts.
- Malarie Pittsley took the loss for the Bucs going four innings allowing 10 runs, eight earned, on 12 hits.
- In game two, the Rams offense erupted for 15 runs including nine in the bottom of the third inning. The big hit in that frame was a two run shot to center off the bat of McCarthy for her second homer of the day.
- McGuill delivered a three run homer in the bottom of the first for the Rams as they opened up a 5-0 lead after one inning of play. Laela Pepin and Morgan Poli also drove in runs in the inning.
- A Gianna Boyle RBI single in the bottom of the second pushed the lead to 6-0 setting the stage for the Rams nine run third inning.
- Shannon Ward earned the victory in the circle for the Rams going five innings allowing no runs on one hit with eight strikeouts.
- Pittsley took the loss going four innings for the Bucs allowing 15 runs, 13 earned on 16 hits.
- McCarthy finished game two 2-for-2 for the Rams with two runs scored and two RBI, while Poli also went 2-for-2 with two runs scored and two RBI.
The Rams are back in action next Friday when they travel to Bridgewater State for a pair of MASCAC games beginning at 2 p.m.