Firefighters Respond To Chemically Soaked Rags Combusting in Basement

Share, email, print, bookmark SOURCE reports.

ASHLAND – Ashland Firefighters were called to Blue Jay Lane just before 2 a.m. for a report of smoke in the basement today, September 22.

Firefighters discovered a box of chemically soaked rags smoldering in the basement that were left from when contractors varnishing a railing on the premises that day, posted the Ashland Fire Department

“Oily Paint Rags Can Spontaneously Combust,” said the Department on social media.

The Fire Department recommend three tips in disposable of paint rags:

1. Do not pile or ball rags soaked with oil paint into a tight mass or toss them in the regular trash while they’re still wet.

2. Do allow the rags to dry thoroughly before disposal.

3. Once the rags are completely dry, they should be safe for disposal.

Photo courtesy of Ashland Fire Department

editor

email: editor@FraminghamSource.com call or text at 508-315-7176

Translate »