BOSTON – On Monday, the Baker-Polito administration announced houses of worship could resume services.
The Governor had declared all public worship was prohibited earlier this spring.
“Shortly after the Governor’s announcement we communicated a series of steps to our parishes that they must follow to adhere to both the state and Church requirements to re-open,” said the Archdiocese of Boston.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts also had struct guidelines including a maximum capacity of 40% and social distancing of 6 feet.
Today, the Archdiocese of Boston released to parishes a video demonstrating how Catholics can help to keep each other safe as Churches begin to re-open this coming weekend.
It is expected most parishes will wait until the weekend of May 30 & 31 to resume the celebration of Mass since it was necessary to temporarily suspend Mass because of COVID-19.
“The Evangelization and Discipleship Secretariat produced the just under 3-minute video and it shows what parishioners need to do from the moment they arrive in the Church parking lot, to entering the Church, how congregants will be social distancing, reception of Communion and how to exit the Church at the conclusion of Mass,” said the archdiocese.
To view the video please click here
“The resumption of Mass in our Churches is a joyful moment for our parishes,” said Cardinal Seán P. O’Malley. “It is very important that, as we welcome parishioners back we do so with the health and safety of all in mind. Throughout this pandemic and for many months to follow we will be adjusting to a new way of doing things. We need to take care of each other now more than ever, confident the with the help of God we will emerge from this crisis to continue the mission entrusted us by Jesus Christ.”
Rev. Paul Soper, Secretary for Evangelization & Discipleship and leading the process of re-opening our Churches, said, “This is an extraordinary time for our people as we begin the process of returning to public Mass in our Churches. Our priests, parishioners, parish staff and volunteers have all responded to this opportunity with safety and the health of the community a priority. We ask for the patience, cooperation and prayers of the entire Catholic community as we begin this steady and slow return to gathering together in prayer.”
The dispensation from the Sunday Mass obligation will continue for the foreseeable future.
Cardinal Seán strongly encourages people in vulnerable populations, especially the elderly and those with complicating physical conditions, to continue to watch Mass from their homes on their parish’s social media platforms or on CatholicTV.
|Entering Church keep distance||Pews and social distancing|
|Holy Communion||Leaving Church keep distance|
Main photo courtesy of the Vatican