BOSTON – The Framingham State University baseball team surrendered 11 runs to 11th ranked UMass Boston in their three at bats as the Beacons rallied for a 15-10 come from behind victory over the Rams in non-conference action this afternoon at the Monan Park in Boston.
Rams are now 1-2 overall.
Beacons are now 3-1 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Bobby Higgins (Barnstable) went 3-for-3 for the Rams with a double,three runs scored, an RBI and walk, while sophomore Nicholas Simonenko (Hudson) went 2-for-5 at the plate with three RBI.
- Freshman Robert Johnston (Watertown, Conn.) recorded a pair of doubles with a run scored and an RBI, while freshman Kevin Girardin (Littleton) went 3-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI.
- The Rams grabbed the early lead with four runs in the top of the first inning. Junior Andrew Caulfield (Malden) singled driving in a pair with no outs for the Rams and freshman Kyle Bolger (North Attleboro) delivered a two run single to right with the bases loaded and two outs.
- The Beacons answered with a run in the bottom of the frame on a Ryan McCormick RBI double cutting the Rams lead to 4-1.
- The Rams added two more in the top of the second extending their lead to 6-1. Girardin singled in a run and Simonenko grounded out plating the other run. UMass Boston got a pair of runs back in the bottom of the inning cutting the deficit to 6-3.
- The Rams added to their lead in the top of the third on an RBI single by Higgins, but the Beacons came back in the bottom of the frame with an RBI double that made the score 7-4.
- Johnston doubled home a run in the top of the sixth, but the Beacons answered with three in the bottom of the inning to pull within one, 8-7.
- The Beacons added four in the bottom of the seventh and four more in the bottom of the eighth taking a 15-8 lead. The Rams tacked on two in the top of the ninth on an RBI single from Simonenko to reach the final margin.
- Sophomore Jonathan Cloutier (Falmouth) took the loss for the Rams allowing four runs, one earned, in 1.1 innings of relief.
The Rams are back in action Tuesday when they travel to Emerson College for a non-league game at 3:30 p.m.