By Framingham State athletics
BRISTOL, RHODE ISLAND – The Framingham State University women’s lacrosse team was defeated 13-9 by Roger Williams University this afternoon in non-conference action at Bayside Field in Bristol, RI
Both teams were selected as the preseason favorites in their respective conference’s preseason polls.
Roger Williams is now 2-0 this season.
Framingham State falls to 1-2 overall.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior attack Grace Gamache (Dartmouth) paced the Rams on the offensive end with three goals and an assist.
- Junior Hanna McMahon (Watertown) tallied a pair of goals with a helper, while senior Morgan Begley (Milton) also found the back of the net twice.
- Senior Nicole Pacheco (Woburn) tallied one marker with two assists, while junior Jenna McMahon (Watertown) finished with a goal.
- The Hawks were led by three goals and three assists from Mandy Beck, while Devon Sarazin recorded three goals with a helper.
- Lily Cunningham scored twice for the hosts and Shayne Rivard finished with a goal and two assists in the contest.
- Freshman Alexis Burleigh (Vernon, Conn.) took the loss in net making three saves, while Lydia Nelson earned the win for the Hawks and made eight stops.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams led 2-1 just under seven minutes into the game after goals from Begley and McMahon, but three straight from the Hawks gave them a 4-2 lead with just under 10 remaining.
- Begley converted a free position opportunity to pull the Rams within one, but the two teams traded goals to end the half and the Hawks led 5-4 at the break.
- Jenna McMahon tied the game in the opening minutes of the second, but the Hawks tallied a 7-0 run over the next 11 minutes to take a 12-5 lead.
- The Rams rallied back pulling within four, 12-8, on a Gamache marker with just over 10 remaining, but the two teams traded goals over the final seven minutes to reach the final margin.
The Rams are back in action next Saturday, March 7, with their home opener when they host Johnson & Wales at 12 p.m.