FRAMINGHAM – Students at the Christa McAuliffe Charter School will have another day of vacation on Tuesday, February 25.
The school was closed on Valentine’s Day, the Friday before vacation due to a sprinkler issue.
And the school’s director Kristin Harrison just announced this afternoon, February 24, school will also be closed on Tuesday.
“Despite working very collaboratively with the city of Framingham and safety consultants, it is looking unlikely that we will have required inspection documents and an occupancy permit in place today in order to open school to students tomorrow,” said Harrison in an email to parents. “As a result, I have made the decision that we will not open school for students on Tuesday, February 25. Instead, we will have another professional day. I am confident, however, that we will have required documents tomorrow in order to have students back to school on Wednesday, February 26.”
The regional public charter school already had two snow days this calendar year, and now has three “sprinkler” no school days.
“We are currently working with the Framingham Public Schools’ Transportation Department to arrange busing for eligible riders on make-up days this spring,” said Harrison.
“One day when we are hoping to hold school is next Tuesday, March 3 which is currently scheduled as a professional day. This is not yet confirmed, but we wanted to preview this possibility with you since March 3 is right around the corner! We will be in touch with families when we have make-up days confirmed,” said Harrison.
March 3 is a presidential primary. Framingham, Public School students have no school, but staff & teachers have a professional development day.
McAuliffe Charter is looking to McAuliffe students attending school on March 3.
Another option being considered for a make-up day is Good Friday in April. The Framingham-based middle charter school has had school on Good Friday in previous years when the school has gone beyond its 5 snow days. So it would not be a first, if school is held on Good Friday. No decision has been made yet.
“I’m so sorry for the continued inconvenience and can’t wait to message you tomorrow that we are in possession of a certificate of occupancy for educational use,” said Harrison, in an email to parents in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.