By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State women’s basketball team cruised to an 85-56 non-conference victory over Anna Maria behind a career-high 37 points from senior Emily Velozo to close the fall semester on Thursday evening in the Athletic Center at Framingham State University.
With the victory, the Rams improve to 8-2 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The two sides played a tight first quarter as both teams traded early leads. A strong first quarter by Sierra Johnson, scoring eight of the AMCATS 14 points, kept it close.
- Rams senior Mary Kate O’Day broke a 12-12 tie a bit over midway through the first that the Rams would not relinquish.
- The AMCATS cut the Rams lead to three on a Hailey Vergara layup with just over six minutes to go in the 1st half but the Rams snapped of an 18-to-2 run with 14 of the points coming from Velozo to send the teams into the break with the Rams leading 45-26
- Framingham State came out of the break continuing to outpace the visitors as a Velozo trey capped an 11-3 run to start the 3rd quarter to push their advantage to 27. The Rams saw their lead grow to as much as 34 late in the 4th.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Velozo led all scorers with 37 points on 7-for-11 from beyond the arch and swiping four steals. O’Day added 16 points and nine boards for the hosts while freshman Krysta Padellaro chipped in 11 points off the bench.
- Johnson paced the AMCATS with 21 points three boards, three assists and two steals. Amber Wilson added ten points while Vergara added 14 from the bench shooting 3-for-4 from downtown.
- The Rams shot 49% from the floor and 44% from long range while the AMCATS shot 39% from the field and 35% from beyond the arc.
The Rams return to action on Saturday, December 28th when they travel to the Land of Magic Classic in Daytona, FL and play Wisconsin- Eau Claire.