By Framingham State athletics
CHESNUT HILL – The Framingham State University men’s basketball team surrendered a layup with two seconds remaining as Pine Manor College came from behind to defeat the Rams 79-78 Wednesday evening in non-conference action at Pine Manor Gymnasium.
With the loss, Framingham State falls to 1-8 overall.
Pine Manor is now 2-6 overall.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior Tyri Hampton paced the Rams on the offensive end of the floor with a team-high 17 points to go along with seven rebounds including five on the offensive glass.
- Dominique Jenkins-Maxwell was the only other Ram to record double figures with 10 points off the bench to go along with three assists, two steals and two blocks
- Sophomore Tajahn Joyner chipped in with nine points and three steals, while junior James Purcell also added nine points as he connected on 4-of-5 from the floor in the game.
- Sophomore Jared Gordon-Anderson added eight points, seven rebounds, three assists and four steals, while juniors Cameren McCloud-Thomas and Keith Hollman chipped in with seven apiece.
- Pine Manor was led by a game-best 22 points Jamel Hamans off the bench, while Jalen Williams finished with 21 as he connected on 4-of-8 from behind the arc.
- Jalen Bruce chipped in with 14 points, four rebounds and three assists, while Sayvonn Houston added 13 points, eight rebounds and four blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The game saw five ties and 11 lead changes including two in the final minute. A pair of Joyner free throws with 14 seconds on the clock put the Rams ahead 78-77, but the final lead change came just 12 seconds later on a layup from Hamans with two seconds remaining that gave the Gators the victory.
- The Rams jumped out to a 6-0 lead thanks to four points from Purcell, before Pine Manor took their first lead of the game just over five minutes in on Bruce three pointer.
- The two teams would trade baskets and the lead until the Rams used a spurt to take their largest lead of the game, 33-24, on a Gordon-Anderson bucket with 6:55 left in the first. Pine Manor would pull back within one, 34-33, on a Williams three with 2:32 on the clock, but the Rams closed the half with a 6-0 run taking a 40-33 lead at the half.
- Pine Manor erased the deficit in the opening minutes of the second and the two teams would once again trade the lead until Pine Manor used a run to take their largest lead of the game, 66-52, with 10:04 on the clock.
- The Rams chipped away at the lead and pulled within one, 72-71, with 3:01 on the clock on a Jenkins-Maxwell basket in the paint.
- A Joyner basket and free throw put the Rams on top 74-72, with 1:16 on the clock, but a three from Bruce put the Gators back on top by one with under a minute remaining. A Hamans jumper pushed the lead to three for the hosts with 33 seconds on the clock, but a Hampton layup pulled the Rams back within one with 30 on the clock.
The Rams are back in action Saturday afternoon when they host Clark University at 3 p.m.