By Framingham State athletics
WALTHAM – The Framingham State University women’s basketball outscored Eastern Nazarene 18-5 in the second quarter to take control and defeat the Lions 59-51 at the 2019 Brandeis Tip-Off Tournament at the Gosman Athletic Center.
Framingham State is undefeated at 2-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior Mary Kate O’Day (Berlin, Mass.) paced the Rams with a team-high 19 points on none-of-16 from the floor to go along with a team-best 12 rebounds and two steals.
- Freshman Flannery O’Connor (Amesbury, Mass.) was the only other Ram in double figures with 11 points and seven boards including five on the offensive end.
- Senior Emily Velozo (Tewksbury, Mass.) added nine points, three rebounds and three steals, while senior Julia Sanborn (Dracut, Mass.) added four points and nine boards.
- Eastern Nazarene was led by 20 points from Jenn Burnham who connected on eight-of-16 from the floor.
- Stevie Orton poured in 12 points and four rebounds off the bench for the Lions, while Shannon Chau added 10 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After a 16-16 first quarter, the Rams opened quarter number two outscoring the Lions 14-2 to open up a 30-18 lead.
- A three from Jen Burnham cut the score to 30-21, but the Rams closed the frame with layups from O’Day and freshman Gwendolyn Carpenter (Ashley Falls, Mass.) to take a 34-21 lead into the locker room.
- Eastern Nazarene would not go away cutting into the lead in the third quarter, but the Rams were able to hold on for the victory in the fourth.
The Rams are back in action Saturday afternoon at the Brandeis Tip-Off Tournament when they face the host Judges in the championship game at 2 p.m.