By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The UMass Dartmouth men’s ice hockey team was led by a hattrick by senior Cameron Mack on their way to an 8-1 win over Framingham State Tuesday evening at Loring Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- An early powerplay in the opening minutes gave the Rams an early opportunity but the towards the end of the two-minute advantage UMD snuck out on a break only to have their breakaway stopped by an acrobatic save by Rams senior netminder Greg Harney (East Haven, Conn.) to keep the game scoreless.
- The visitors were able to break through in the sixth minute on a powerplay of their own when Nicholas Short sent a long pass to Cameron Mack to capitalize on the man advantage.
- About ten minutes later a Rams defender brought down a UMD skater on a breakaway and a penalty shot was awarded. John Grealish was able to squeeze the shot thought the five hole and trickled in.
- The Rams got on the board in the opening minute of the second when Matthew Paiotti scored unassisted on shothanded.
- A little under midway through the period Mack scored with helpers from Dillon Radin and Sean Leonard.
- Radin and John Grealish scored to send the Corsairs to the breakup 5-1. Jake Maynard, Mack and Michael Perrone each tallied in the final frame to reach the final margin.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Corsairs outshot the Rams 56-to-28 and 38-to-16 in the final two frames.
- Harney made 42 saves in the first two periods before giving way to Nolan Greene for the final frame. Chris Stangarone made 27 stops in the win for UMD.
- UMD was 1-for-5 on the man advantage with two shorthanded scores. The Rams were 0-for-5 on the powerplay and scored once a man down.
The Rams return the ice on Saturday, November 9, when they host Southern New Hampshire in a non-conference battle at 7:40 p.m.
Photo courtesy of Framingham State athletics