By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University men’s soccer tallied three second half goals as the Rams broke open a 0-0 tie and secured a 3-0 victory over Westfield State University in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) action at Maple Street Field in Framingham.
With the win, Framingham State remains undefeated in Conference play at 4-0 and 7-6 overall.
With the loss, Westfield State falls to 3-8 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams had a pair of quality scoring chances in the first half. First, senior Bryant Nardizzi (Framingham) had a clean look at the net inside the box, but WSU goalkeeper Tyler Diotalevi came up with the diving stop.
- Then, junior Bryce Nardizzi (Framingham.) made a move past a defender and had a clear look, but his shot sailed just wide.
- The Rams had several chances to open the second half, but could not find the back of the net until the 71st minute. The Owls were called for a handball in the box giving the Rams a penalty kick.
- Bryant Nardizzi took the kick and placed a shot in the low corner for the 1-0 lead.
- Just over two minutes later, the Rams added an insurance goal. Sophomore Nahuel Algibay sent a pass ahead to senior Isaac DeSouza in the box and De Souza lofted a shot into the back of the net for the 2-0 advantage.
- The Rams would add a final goal from freshman Sherak Ayamga in the final minute of the game to reach the final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams outshot the Owls 31-9 in the game. Senior Corey Davidge (Blackstone) earned the shutout win in net for the Rams making two saves.
- Diotalevi did not factor into the decision for the Owls, but made four saves in his half of action.
- Junior Griffin Brown (Southborough) took the loss for the Owls allowing three goals in his half of action while making four stops.
The Rams are back in action on Monday when they travel to Emerson for a non-conference tilt beginning at 6 p.m., while the Owls host Williams on Tuesday at 7 p.m.