By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State volleyball team split a pair of matches with Westfield State and Anna Maria in a tri-match on Saturday afternoon in Framingham.
Westfield defeated Anna Maria in the middle game of the day.
– Scores: Match 1: Westfield State 3, Framingham State 2 (25-13, 23-25, 25-18, 19-25, 15-8)
Match 2: Westfield State 3, Anna Maria 0 (25-19, 25-18, 25-21)
Match 3: Framingham State 3, Anna Maria 0 (25-8, 25-14, 25-6)
– Records: Framingham State (8-8, 1-1 MASCAC), Westfield State (8-6, 3-0 MASCAC), Anna Maria (2-10)
Westfield vs. Framingham
- The visiting Owls cruised to a big first set win after a 13-point run that saw them take a 17-8 advantage in game one which they wouldn’t relinquish.
- The Rams answered in the second set squeaking out a 25-23 win. After the Owls took the third set the Rams again answered and forced a decisive fifth set.
- After back-and-forth play early in the fifth game the Owls ripped off 5-0 run to break the 6-6 game open and held on for a 15-8 win.
- Brianna Starkey had a match high 22 kills while Hanna Simkins pitched in 10 kills on 15 attempts for a .600 hitting percentage.
- The Rams received a team-best 17 kills from sophomore Brandee Thomas. Sophomore Alyssa Cafarelli chipped in a match best 27 digs with two service aces.
Framingham vs. Anna Maria
- In the final match of the day the Rams defeated the AMCATS in straight sets.
- Thomas and freshman Hailey Sanders (pictured) each finished with 11 kills for the Rams. Thomas kit .846 while Sanders swung at a .733 clip. Freshman Grace Riccio contributed with a game best seven aces and ten assists.
- The AMCATS received four kills from Bella Koziak while Serena Dennis led the squad with eight dig
The Rams return to the court on Wednesday, October 2, when they travel to Mass. Maritime for a MASCAC matchup.
Photo courtesy of Framingham State athletics