By Framingham State athletics
CAMBRIDGE – The Framingham State University volleyball team battled for a 3-2 victory over Smith College before being defeated 3-0 by host MIT in a non-conference tri-match at Rockwell Cage in Cambridge on Saturday.
Match 1: Framingham State 3, Smith 2 (17-25, 25-21, 22-25, 25-19, 15-10)
Match 2: MIT 3, Framingham State 0 (25-10, 25-12, 25-6)
Records: Framingham State (5-5), Smith (3-8), MIT (11-2)
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
FSU 3, Smith
- Trailing 2-1 after three sets, the Rams and the Pioneers were tied at 11-11 in the fourth. The Rams took the lead for good on an error by Smith and kill from freshman Hailey Sanders (Franklin, Mass.) before taking the frame and forcing the fifth.
- In the fifth, the Rams jumped out to 7-1 lead that included three service aces from sophomore Alyssa Cafarelli (Peoria, AZ). Smith cut the gap to four (9-5) before pulling away for the victory.
- Sophomore Brandee Thomas (North Kingstown, RI) and senior Deirdre Fay (Cornwall, NY) paced the Rams on the attack with 12 and 11 kills respectively. Fay also added two aces and 10 digs.
- Cafarelli led the back row with 24 defensive digs and seven service aces, while junior Brenna Marquis (Coventry, Conn.) and classmate Morgan Failla (Providence, RI) added 12 digs apiece.
- Sanders finished the match with seven kills and three blocks, while Brandey Rodriguez (Lawrence, Mass.) added nine kills and three digs.
MIT 3, FSU 0
- In their second match of the day, the Rams were defeated by MIT by scores of 25-10, 25-12 and 25-6.
- The Rams were paced by seven kills in the match from Thomas, while freshman Natalie Reid (North Attleboro, Mass.) added four kills and two digs.
- Fay chipped in with two kills and seven digs, while Cafarelli finished with five digs. Failla added seven assists and freshman Emily Flaherty (Milford, NH) added eight.
The Rams are back in action on Tuesday when they travel to Lasell University for a non-conference tilt at 7 p.m.