FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University volleyball team split non-conference matches Saturday afternoon at the Athletic Center as they were defeated 3-0 by Salve Regina University in the day’s opening match and defeated Rhode Island College 3-1 in the final match.
Salve Regina pulled out a five-set victory over Rhode Island College, 3-2, in the day’s other match.
– Scores: Match 1: Salve Regina 3, Framingham State 0 (25-15, 25-22, 25-11)
Match 2: Salve Regina 3, RIC 2 (25-11, 25-21, 16-25, 15-25, 15-11)
Match 3: Framingham State 3, RIC 1 (25-13, 25-9, 15-25, 25-19)
– Records: Framingham State (3-5), Salve Regina (3-6), Rhode Island College (1-6)
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
Salve 3, FSU 0
- Salve Regina jumped out to an 11-3 lead in the opening set and never looked back taking the frame 25-15.
- The second set went back and forth with the two teams trading the lead before the Rams led 21-19 after a Seahawk error. Salve rallied and tied the set at 22-22 before taking the frame 25-22.
- In the third, the Seahawks once again jumped out to the early lead and led 15-8 before taking the set 25-11.
- Nicole Karabaich and Leah Creteau paced the Seahawks on the attack with 15 and 12 attacks respectively.
- Katie Linekin and Olivia Noonan led the defensive effort with 16 and 10 defensive digs, while Noonan also added a match-best 29 set assists.
- The Rams were led on the attack by nine kills from freshman Anna Szymanski who also chipped in with seven digs. Sophomore Brandee Thomas added seven kills, while freshman Hailey Sanders recorded three blocks.
- Sophomore Alyssa Cafarelli added 11 digs and three aces, while senior Deirdre Fay (pictured) chipped in with 10 digs and three kills.
FSU 3, RIC 1
- In the opening set, the Rams led 9-5 before extending their lead to as many as 11 before taking the frame 25-13. In the second, the Rams jumped out a 10-5 lead after back-to-back aces from Deirdre Fay and pushed the advantage to 16-5 before taking the set 25-9.
- In the third, the Anchormen used a 19-4 spurt that began with the score tied 5-5 to secure the set victory and force the fourth frame.
- In the fourth, the Rams jumped out to the early lead before RIC cut the gap to 8-7 on an error by the Rams. The Rams pushed the lead to 14-7 with a 7-0 spurt and never looked back securing the victory.
- Brandee Thomas paced the Rams on the attack with 12 kills on 29 attempts to go along with two aces, three digs and a block.
- Freshman Hailey Sanders added nine kills and four blocks, including three solo.
- Alyssa Cafarelli paced defensive effort with 14 digs, while freshman Emily Flaherty added 12 and 18 assists.
- Jessica Brielmaier led RIC with eight kills, a dig and a block, while Ashley Normandin chipped in with five kills and three digs to go along with a pair of aces.
- Jenaeya Evans led the back row with 12 digs, while Samantha Borges chipped in with 11.
The Rams on Tuesday travel to Bridgewater State to open MASCAC action.