1 Today is National Purple Heart Day.
August 7 commemorates the creation of the oldest American military decoration for military merit.
“General George Washington created the Badge of Merit in 1782. The award was presented to soldiers for “any singularly meritorious action.”
General Douglas MacArthur pushed for the U.S. War Department to create the Order of the Purple Heart, which today features a bust of George Washington and his coat of arms.
Up until 1944, the Purple Heart recognized service members’ commendable actions. In 1944, the requirements limited the award to only those wounded or killed in combat.
2. The Framingham Public Library hosts Jungle Jim’s Jedi Academy today at 2:30 p.m. in the Costin room at the main Framingham Public Library on Lexington Street.
The space-themed balloon magic show features rocket propulsion science, celebrates the moon landing, Star Wars Jedi Training and a 6-foot galaxy explosion, says the library.
The program is for elementary-age children and older.
PLUS free lunch at the main Framingham Library today from noon to 2 p.m.
3. CITY OF FRAMINGHAM meetings:
- Framingham School Committee has a meeting tonight at 7 in the Blumer Community room in the Memorial Building
- Framingham Conservation Commission has a meeting tonight at 7 in the Ablondi room at the Memorial Building.
4. The Framingham Public Library presents Beethoven: Despair and Transcendence with Gil Harel tonight at 7 p.m. in the Costin room at the Main Framingham Library on Lexington Street. The program is free.
“This year 2020 will mark an important milestone in the history of western civilization: 250 years since the birth of Ludwig van Beethoven. As listeners around the world reflect on his works, Professor Gil Harel will anticipate this “Beethoven Jubilee” with a deep dive into his life and oeuvre. Pieces to be discussed will include solo piano as well as symphonic repertoire,” states the library.
5. According to the Mayor’s public schedule, Mayor Yvonne Spicer has no public events today. There is a School Committee meeting tonight, and she typically does attend, but it is not on her public calendar.
BONUS: The Eastleigh Farm ice cream bus will be at Alta Union House in downtown Framingham today at noon until 5 p.m