FRAMINGHAM – As the proud mother of twin boys and a lifelong Framingham resident and a disability advocate, I am also proud to announce my candidacy for School Committee in District 2 (Precincts 3 & 5).
Many years ago I attended the Framingham Public Schools and now my children attend the Framingham Public Schools. I have experienced first-hand, the many positive changes with the school system, while being aware there are many challenges that we face as a community.
I would like to see the and the municipality work more collaboratively to ensure all Framingham students receive a quality, inclusive and equitable education.
If elected your representative on the School Committee, I would be
- Listening to families about their concerns and needs for their child’s
- Supporting (when appropriate) the Superintendent and Administration’s vision, strategies and goals to help ensure a quality
education from the Framingham Public Schools.
- Advocating for the resources needed (physical, cognitive, social and emotional health etc.) to enable schools to provide an education in an inclusive, equitable and safe environment so all students feel empowered and confident in all their abilities. The mental health of students is a major public health issue today and partnering with families, teachers and health professionals will give our kids the tools they need for their future;
- Continue to work toward a more collaborative relationship between the schools and the municipality. This will allow for more effective and transparent communication which ultimately benefits the Framingham community.
- Providing equitable services for all schools in Framingham and keeping school fees affordable or reducing when possible
Below is a list of some of the community activities I have been involved
with for over the last 20 years,
Founder of the Framingham Disability Commission in 2002 and served
as Chair since 2009;
Member of Framingham’s 2020 Open Space Plan Committee;
Member Framingham Lodge of Elks since 2018
Former Town Meeting Member for Precinct 3 for 18 years;
Former member of the Human Relations Disabilities Sub-Committee;
Former Member of 5th Grade Graduation Committee at Mary E.
Stapleton Elementary School as well as other activities;
Co-Chair, Fundraising Committee MA Mothers of Twins Association
(MW Suburban Chapter);
Served as Chair of the MetroWest Arthritis Foundation Walk Committee;
Served on Framingham Public Library Building Committee;
Served on Consumer Advisory Committee for Metro West Regional
Transit Authority and MetroWest RIDE service.
Growing up through the years, in our Saxonville neighborhood, I watched how both my parents even though they worked full-time and were raising 4 kids, they still took an active role in the Framingham community. Giving back and helping out their community was important to them.
My mother, Anne P. Foran, was a teacher in the Framingham Public Schools for 40 years. She served as a member of the Framingham Public Library Board of Trustees for 12 years, serving as Chair. She also volunteered in the Framingham Literacy program.
My Father, Edward W. Foran, was a member of the Framingham School Committee for 12 years, and also served as Chair of the School Committee. Later, he served for many years on the Conservation Commission.
I attended the Framingham Public Schools grades K through 8 and then attended Marian High School. As a result of my life experience here, I chose to stay here in Framingham and raise my young twin boys who one day may also follow in their parents and grandparents footsteps by giving back to their community they choose to live.
For my educational background and experience, I received a Double Bachelor of Arts Degree from Regis College, Weston, in Sociology and
Communications. I also completed several Master Level courses at Framingham State University towards there counseling program.
Currently, I am a Clinical Instructor at Tufts University School of Medicine, in Boston, where I educate, train and provide feedback to medical students about disability issues. I also work as a Disability Consultant/Advocate providing education and training on Disability Awareness and Disability Rights and Laws.
If you have any questions contact me at (508) 788-1422 or firstname.lastname@example.org,
I would love to hear from you!
Please I ask for, and thank you for, your consideration on November 5, 2019!
Karen Foran Dempsey, School Committee Candidate for District 2