FRAMINGHAM – Long-time Framingham Library Trustee Elizabeth Fideler has resigned.
City Clerk Lisa Ferguson is seeking applicants to replace Fideler on the Framingham Library Board of Trustees. The applicants would serve out the rest of Fideler’s term until December 31, 2021.
An election would be held in November 2021 to fill that seat, but in the meantime, the Trustees and the 11-member City Council will appoint an individual to fill the term until then.
Applications are due by June 28.
The board of library trustees shall have all powers as provided by the general laws and any additional powers and duties that may be assigned by charter, by ordinance, or otherwise and are not inconsistent with the Framingham Home Rule Charter, according to the job description posted yesterday, June 4.
The powers and duties of the board of library trustees shall include the following:
1. To make all reasonable rules and regulations for the operation of the municipality’s libraries and for conducting the business of the board of library trustees as may be considered necessary or desirable;
2. To advise and make recommendations to the Mayor for an annual operating budget for the library department. The library trustees shall advise the mayor on all matters concerning the library department, equipment and, buildings and grounds; 3. To recommend to the Mayor for appointment a candidate for library director, and;
4. To accept donations and manage funds in its trust.
Additional Responsibilities and Duties,according to the job posting:
1. Policy development and approval;
2. Evaluation of library activities;
3. Attendance of monthly Framingham Public Library Board meetings;
4. Serve on committees as assigned by the chair of the board of library trustees.
Prohibitions: No member of the board of library trustees shall hold any position in the library department for which a salary is payable from the municipal treasury, except positions receiving a stipend.
No former member of the board of library trustees shall hold any compensated position in the library department until at least one (1) year after the date on which the member’s service on the board of library trustees has terminated.
*Shall be a resident and registered voter in the City of Framingham, MA. MLS/MLIS degree, and/or prior work experience in a library is preferred as well as experience as a member or volunteer with the Framingham Library Foundation, Friends of the Framingham Library, or Literacy Unlimited.
Interested candidates should send resume to: Lisa Ferguson, City Clerk firstname.lastname@example.org 150 Concord Street Room 105 Framingham, MA 01702