By Framingham State athletics
WESTFIELD – The third seed Framingham State University baseball team fell 12-0 in eight innings to top seed Westfield State University in one semifinal of the 2019 Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) Baseball Tournament at Bud & Jim Hagan Field in Westfield.
With the victory, the Owls advance to the championship round of the tournament on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. in Westfield, while the Rams will face Fitchburg State on Saturday morning at 11 a.m. in an elimination game.
The winner advances to face the Owls in the championship round.
Framingham State is now 22-18 with the loss.
Westfield State is now 26-13 with the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Westfield State plated a pair in the bottom of the second and added two more in the bottom of the fourth to take a 4-0.
- That was all Westfield State starter John Gegetskas would need as he went the distance tossing a no-hitter without allowing a walk and striking out seven.
- The Rams lone baserunner in the game was senior Aaron Williams who reached on an error in the top of the fourth inning.
- Westfield would add six in the bottom of the sixth and two more in the eighth to reach the 12-run rule.
- Senior Kevin Connelly started on the mound for the Rams and went five innings allowing four runs, three earned, on six hits with three strikeouts.
- Fitchburg State eliminated Bridgewater State in today’s other MASCAC Tournament game setting up a rematch between the Falcons and the Rams who met yesterday with the Rams coming out victorious 8-6 in 12 innings.