NORTHBOROUGH – The Framingham State University baseball team received a complete game performance from senior Kyle Hodgson (pictured) as the Rams defeated Westfield State University 2-1 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference action Friday afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough.
With the win, Framingham State is now 4-1 in the Conference and 10-9 overall.
With the loss, the Owls of Westfield State are now 3-2 in the Conference, and 10-7 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Hodgson earned his second straight complete game victory after going nine innings allowing just one earned run. Hodgson scattered five hits on the day, while without walking a batter and striking out seven.
- The Owls lone run of the game came in the top of the first inning when senior Colin Dunn launched a solo homer to left. After the homer in the first, Hodgson did not allow an Owl runner past second base in the game.
- The Rams tied the game in the bottom of the second inning. Junior Bobby Higgins singled and moved to second on an infield single by classmate Cory Caraher.
- Freshman Jonathan Cloutier followed with a ball up the middle that hit the Owls pitcher, John Gegetskas. Gegetskas was able to collect the ball and threw to first, but the ball got away allowing Higgins to score from second on the play.
- The Rams took the lead for good in the bottom of the third inning. Senior Kyle Lippert doubled to lead off the inning and moved to third on a ground out. Senior Matt Fogarty followed with an RBI single to left plating Lippert.
- Gegetskas was solid on the mound for the Owls going eight innings allowing two runs, one earned, on six hits with a walk and seven strikeouts.
- Lippert and Higgins finished the game with two hits apiece for the Rams.
The Rams and the Owls are back in action Saturday, when they play a doubleheader in Westfield beginning at noon.