By MCLA Athletics
NORTHBOROUGH – The Framingham State University baseball team scored five runs including a 3-run homer from senior Joe Ambrosino (pictured) and a complete game performance from senior Kyle Hodgson as the Rams defeated MCLA 5-1 Friday afternoon in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference action at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough.
With the win Framingham State is 1-0 in the Conference and 7-8 overall.
MCLA drops to 6-10 overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MCLA’s Bobby New and Hodgson matched zeros for the first eight innings, but Framingham finally capitalized on their ninth inning opportunity.
- Aaron Williams and Kyle Lippert both reached to start the frame and Andrew Curtis was hit by a pitch attempting to bunt to load the bases against New with nobody out in the top of the ninth.
- Ambrosino sent a changeup from New deep over the right field fence for what appeared to be a grand slam, however MCLA appealed the second runner who was called out after missing home plate. The other runs counted however, and Framingham State led 3-0.
- The Rams weren’t done yet as Cory Caraher’s pinch hit two run double off Max Gabrielly increased the lead to 5-0.
- MCLA got a run back when Logan Rumbolt homered deep to left to start the ninth off Hodgson, but he bore down and retired the next three hitters to earn the complete game win.
- Hodgson allowed nine hits and struck out 7 Trailblazers to improve to 3-1 on the season. Ambrosino was the lone Ram to collect two hits.
- Austin Rachiele had three hits to pace the offense while Rumbolt and Dillon Maxon each ended with two apiece.
- New absorbed the loss going 8.2 innings and allowing all five runs. He struck out five batters and walked three.
The two teams close out the three game series on Sunday at the New England Baseball Conference with a pair of games beginning at 1 p.m.