By Framingham State athletics
CLERMONT, FLORIDA – The Framingham State University softball team closed their spring trip Friday afternoon with a 6-2 victory over Wisconsin-Superior after surrendering a five run lead as they were defeated 7-5 by Western New England in their first game of the day at the PFX Games at Hancock Park in Florida.
Framingham State with the split, is now 3-7 overall this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
FSU vs. Western New England –
- The Rams plated five runs in the bottom of the first inning to claim the early lead. Sophomore Camille Desrochers walked to lead off the inning, was sacrificed to second and took third on a wild pitch. Descrochers scored on an RBI single from sophomore Grace Caughey/ Freshman Farrah Adam and senior Lauren Salisbury drew walks to load the bases with one out. Freshman Laela Pepin followed with a two run double to left center. Junior Kaylea Sherman reached on an error that allowed two runs to score for the Rams.
- Western New England began to chip away at the lead with two runs in the top of the third. The Golden Bears added a single run in the top of the fifth as they capitalized on a Ram error cutting the deficit to 5-3.
- The Golden Bears used a three spot in the top of the sixth to tie the game and take the lead for good. Western New England had runners on second and third with no outs and Carlie Moss delivered a two run double to left tying the score. The Golden Bears took the lead when Sydney Pounds reached on an error allowing an unearned run to score.
- Western New England added an insurance run in the top of the seventh to reach the final margin
- Senior Kelsi Gunarathne took the loss for the Rams going seven innings and allowing seven runs, four earned, on eight hits with two walks and four strikeouts.
- Sherman finished the game three-for-four with an RBI, while Pepin went one-for-four with a run scored and two RBI.
FSU vs. Wisconsin-Superior –
- The Rams got on the board first once again in game two of the day. Junior Mycala Moody doubled and came around to score on a single through the left side off the bat of Adam.
- The Rams extended the lead with two in the second and a single run in the third. In the second Desrochers delivered a two run double down the left field line and in the third sophomore Marissa Vellucci laced a single to left for the 4-0 advantage.
- In the bottom of the frame, Wis.-Superior got a run back, but the Rams countered with two more in the top of the fourth. Moody singled and Caughey followed with a two run homer to deep left for the 6-1 lead.
- Wis.-Superior would add one more run in the bottom of the fifth to reach the final score.
- Moody finished the game with a pair of hits for the Rams and two runs scored while Adam also recorded two hits.
- Vellucci earned the win for the Rams going four innings and allowing two earned runs on three hits with four walks and five strikeouts. Caughey earned her second save of the year going three innings without allowing a run.
The Rams return north and are back in action on Tuesday at home when they host UMass Dartmouth for a pair of games beginning at 3 p.m.