By Framingham State athletics
NORTHBOROUGH – The Framingham State University baseball team rallied from a pair of deficits to walk off with a 7-6 nine inning victory over New England College in game one of a non-conference doubleheader this afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex.
The Pilgrims came back and won game two 9-2.
It was the season opener for both schools, who both now have a record of 1-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
GAME 1 –
- Trailing 4-1 after five innings, the Rams tallied three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning tying the game. Senior Joe Ambrosino walked, classmate Kyle Dembrowski (Natick) singled and freshman Jonathan Cloutier walked to load the bases with one out. Ambrosino scored the first run on a wild pitch and a walk to senior Aaron Williams reloaded the bases. Classmate Kyle Lippert followed with a two run single up the middle knotting the score.
- Neither team scored in the seventh and the game went to extra innings.
- In the top of the eighth, New England College had the bases loaded with two outs. Sophomore Connor Morin drew a bases loaded walk on a close three and two pitch for the first run and senior Evan Delaney followed with another walk for the 6-4 lead.
- The Rams retied the game in the bottom of the frame. Dembrowski reached on an error by the catcher on a dropped third strike and moved to second on a wild pitch. Junior Anthony Herman walked and Jonathan Cloutier sacrificed the runners to second and third. Williams singled to right plating Dembrowski and Lippert followed with a game-tying RBI single.
- The Rams walked off with the game one victory in the bottom of the ninth. Junior Bobby Higgins singled and moved to second on a wild pitch. Herman plated the winning run two batters later on a single to left the dropped in just inside the foul line.
- New England College had grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the second on a solo homerun to left by senior Jeam Castillo.
- The Pilgrims extended the lead to 3-0 in the top of the third on an infield RBI single by senior Christian Aybar and an RBI single to left off the bat of Delaney
- The Rams got on the board in the bottom of the fourth. After back-to-back walks, Cloutier hit a ball in the whole between first and the second allowing the run to score from third.
- An RBI single off the bat of senior Xavier Nunez put the Pilgrims up 4-1 in the top of the fifth.
- Junior Kevin Scerra earned the win in relief for the Rams in the opener going an inning and a third allowing no runs on no hits with two walks.
- Junior Jameson Carey took the loss in the opener tossing three and a third in relief allowing three runs, one earned, on five hits with four strikeouts and three walks.
GAME 2 –
- In game two, the Pilgrims got on the board in their first at bat. Aybar was hit by a pitch and moved to second on a wild pitch. Junior Bobby Fulkerson followed with an RBI single up the middle for the 1-0 advantage.
- NEC added to their lead with single runs in the top of the third and fourth. Castillo delivered an RBI base hit to right in the third and freshman Anderson Jimenez plated a run in the fourth on a groundout.
- The Pilgrims added to their lead with four runs in the top of the fifth to lead 7-0. Carey scored the first run on a single to center and Luis Atiles was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded for the second. Jimenez and Aybar both reached on Ram errors scoring the final two of the frame.
- A single run in the top of the sixth pushed the lead to 8-0, but the Rams plated a pair in the bottom of the inning. Junior Andrew Curtis reached on an infield single and scored on a two run shot to left by Ambrosino. A single run in the top of the seventh for the Pilgrims accounted for the final run of the game.
- Stanley Vargas earned the game two victory on the mound for the Pilgrims allowing no runs on one hit with six strikeouts.
- Senior Kevin Connelly took the loss for the Rams allowing three runs, two earned, on five hits with four strikeouts.
The Rams are back in action on Thursday when they travel to Emerson for a 3:30 p.m. contest.