ASHLAND – The Ashland Cultural Council has awarded a dozen grants in 2019.
The grantees were selected from a very competitive list of applicants. The current endeavor of the Ashland Cultural Council is to bring in a variety of arts and literary talent and cater to various local groups and enabling them to nurture and foster the arts for the Ashland community.
“While we aim to support local talent, it is important that we enrich our community with a wide variety of arts and cultural projects,” said Lakshmi Krishnan Chair of the Council.
“This is precisely why we encourage artists from all over the metro west region to apply for ACC grants. This exchange of arts and culture between various communities is one of the ways the Mass Cultural Council supports artistes in this state,” said Visi Tilak, treasurer of the Council. “Our hope is to make sure Ashland enjoys the audio, visual and literary treats that are available to us from artistes in this region.”
Out of the 22 very talented applicants, a total of $6,585 was disbursed to the following accepted grantees for the 2019 year:
- Women’s Struggle for Equality – An International Poster Exhibit by Stephen Lewis
- “Especially for Me” at the Discovery Museum
- “New England Witchcraft Tales” by The Friends of the Ashland Public Library
- “Combating Hate And Prejudice” a workshop by Janet Applefield
- “The Musical Mystery Tour, Fun with Music” by The Friends of the Ashland Public Library
- American Folk Songs Concert by the Assabet Valley Master Singers
- “Learn to Play the Ukulele” workshop by The Friends of the Ashland Public Library
- Ashland Farmers Market Music series
- Band Concert at Ashland Day by John Crowley
- 2019 Dragonfly Festival by Arts! Ashland Alliance, Inc.
- Tuba for Ashland High School Band by The Ashland Music Association
- Author Visit for Warren Elementary School
The grantees will present their projects at their annual reception this spring. Dates and other logistics will be announced soon.
The Ashland Cultural Council is part of a network of 329 Local Cultural Councils serving all 351 cities and towns in the Commonwealth that supports community based projects in the arts and sciences each
year. The state legislature provides an annual appropriation to the Massachusetts Cultural Council which allocates funds to each community.
Current Council members include Lakshmi Krishnan (Chair), Visi Tilak
(Treasurer), Connie Mannal and Tonya Yaskovich.