The following is a media release from AAA Northeast, submitted to SOURCE.
FRAMINGHAM – Forecasters are predicting a messy afternoon and evening commute today with snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain all possible.
Here are some reminders from AAA Northeast about driving in winter conditions:
- Take the time to make sure snow and ice are cleared from your vehicle.
- Drive with your headlights on – see and be seen.
- Leave extra space between you and the vehicle in front of you – you’re going to need more time to see problems and more space to react to them.
- Lower your speed – the faster you go the harder it is to stop or swerve.
- If your car goes into a skid, turn the steering wheel in the direction you want the vehicle to go – avoid jamming on the brakes.
- Make sure your cell phone is fully charged before heading out.
“Snow and sleet can cause significant safety problems by reducing visibility and
making it difficult to safely maneuver or stop, but by being vigilant behind the wheel, drivers can help reduce the chances of a crash,” said Mary Maguire, Director of Public and Legislative Affairs at AAA Northeast.