By Fitchburg State athletics
FITCHBURG – The Fitchburg State University ice hockey team defeated the Rams of Framingham State University 6-0 in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference action Tuesday evening at the Wallace Civic Center in Fitchburg.
With the win the Falcons are now 10-10-2, and 7-6-2 in the Conference.
With the loss, Framingham State falls to 2-17-1 and are still winless in Conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Fitchburg State opened the scoring at the 3:24 mark of the first period as junior forward Kyle Hillick gathered a feed from senior Nick DiNicola and sophomore Sascha Figi and fired a shot into the back of the net for his fifth tally on the year for the 1-0 margin.
- The Falcons doubled the lead (2-0) when Ricky Kramer found Figi open in the slot for his NCAA Division III leading 12th power play goal and his 23 goal of the season.
- In the second frame, the Green and Gold notched a shorthanded marker midway through the period. Off an outlet pass from junior Dean Zerby senior Patrick Germain fired a shot from the left wing that caromed off the Framingham State goaltender Adam Calabrese into the net for the 3-0 lead.
- The Green and Gold extended their margin early in the third period when freshman Ryan Murphy redirected a shot inside the far post of a shot by Figi for his fourth tally on the season to make the score 4-0, en-route to a 6-0 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Fitchburg State finished 2-for-5 on the power-play, while Framingham State went 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
- Falcons held a 55-32 margin in shots
- McGrath stopped all 32 shots he faced en-route to his tenth win.
- Framingham State Calabrese finished with 49 saves in the setback.
- Freshman Bryan Whelan finished with a team-best five shots for the Rams.
Rams will travel to Westfield to take on the Owls on Thursday February 7, for a 7:35 p.m. start time