By Framingham State athletics
FraFRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University ice hockey team surrendered a pair of third period goals as the Rams were defeated 4-2 by Westfield State University Saturday evening in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference action at Loring Arena.
Westfield State improves to 7-5-2 overall.
Framingham State is now 2-11-1 overall and 0-7-1 in the Conference.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• The Owls took advantage of a Ram penalty to score the first goal of the game just eight seconds into the power play. Senior Aaron Clancy scored off of feeds from Lenny Caglianone and F.X. Girard off the face off for the 1-0.
• The Rams tied the game in the opening minutes of the second period. Junior Jack Sheehan scored off feeds from freshman Chris Rupp and freshman Alex Groner just 1:38 into the second.
• The Owls took the lead back just over six minutes later when Danny Ferri sent a pass up ice to junior Pearce Vance. Vance was one on one with the Rams keeper and fired a shot inside the post for the 2-1 lead.
• The Rams retied the game with a power play goal with 2:29 remaining in the second. Junior Brendan Williams sent the puck on net which was redirected in front by Soren Colstrup and Michael Gennello before senior Ryan McDonough knocked the puck home.
• The Owls retook the lead just over a minute into the third period as Jake Ratcliffe converted off assists from Paul Frys and Wyatt Trumbley .
• The Owls added an insurance goal with just under five minutes remaining the third pushing the lead to 4-2. Senior Johnny Orlando tallied the short-handed marker off an assist from Robert Neuwirth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• Junior Greg Harney took the loss in net for the Rams and made 30 saves, while junior Thierry Messervier earned the victory between the pipes for the Owls and made 28 stops.
The Rams are back in action at home next Thursday when they host Fitchburg State at 7:30 p.m., while the Owls host UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday at 1:35 p.m.