By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – Framingham State junior Emily Velozo scored a career high 24 points, including 17 in the first half to lead the Rams to a 72-52 win over Regis College in non-conference action Thursday evening in Framingham.
With the win Framingham State improves to 6-4
Regis is now 1-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams opened up scoring with a 14-3 run bookended by baskets by Velozo who scored seven of the Rams first 14 points as the Rams cruised to a 20-9 first quarter lead. A more even second quarter sent the teams to the locker room with the Rams leading 40-26.
- The Rams continued to push the lead steadily in the second half leading by as much as 27 midway though the fourth quarter.
- Velozo led all scorers with 24 points shooting 9-of-13 from the floor and 4-for-7 from beyond the arc.
- Tiphani Harris added 15 points and a team best eight rebounds while Mary Kate O’Day scored 12 points with seven boards.
- Sam D’Angeloled Regis off the bench with a team-best 12 points with seven boards. Katryna Veasey and Arie Searcy narrowly missed double- doubles with ten points and nine rebounds apiece.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams shot 47% from the floor and 42% from long range.
- The Pride were 38% from the field but only 21% from down town.
- The Rams held a strong advantage from the charity strip converting 80% of their chances to just 35% for the visitors
- The Rams return to the hardwood after the holiday when they play Wellesley College as part of the Clark University Tournament on Saturday, December 29.