By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University men’s basketball team was defeated at home Tuesday night 69-52 by Wheaton College in non-conference action at the Athletic Center.
With the loss, the Rams of Framingham State are now 1-4.
With the win, Wheaton College is now 5-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wheaton led 10-6 just under seven minutes into the game, but the Rams used a 9-2 run over the next four minutes to take a 17-12 lead. Freshman Matthew Rohelia connected on a pair of threes on the run and converted two from the line.
- Wheaton responded with a run of their own taking a 22-21 lead on a three by sophomore Jake Malcom with just over five minutes remaining in the first.
- The Lyons extended the lead to 27-21 before the Rams closed the gap and headed to the locker room trailing 29-27.
- Wheaton opened the second half with a 13-2 run holding the Rams to just one field goal in the first seven minutes of the half. Senior David Carbonello hit a pair of threes on the run for the Lyons.
- The Rams cut the deficit to 10 on a layup from freshman Lens Esquil with eight minutes remaining, but the Lyons pushed the lead back to 17 and secured the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams were led offensively by junior Tyri Hampton who scored a team-high 13 point on five-of-eight from the floor and added three rebounds.
- Sophomore Cameren McCloud-Thomas and Rohelia chipped in with 10 points apiece. McCloud-Thomas also added six boards and two blocks.
- The Lyons were led by a game-high 21 points from Carbonello who connected on seven-of-12 from the floor including two-of-two from behind the arc. Carbonello also added eight boards and two steals.
- Senior Duaka Ekwensi added 18 points and nine boards, while sophomore Ricardo Ripley (Sharon, Mass.) added 10 and four boards.
- Senior Riley Tetreault narrowly missed a double double with nine points and 10 boards.
The Rams are back in action on Saturday when they host Suffolk University at 1 p.m.