BROCKPORT, NEW YORK – Junior quarterback Adam Wojenski threw for 450 yards as the Framingham State University football team tallied 27 second half points against the College at Brockport, but the Rams were defeated 40-27 by the Golden Eagles in an opening round game of the 2018 NCAA Division III Football Championship Saturday afternoon at Eunice Kennedy Shriver Stadium, in Brockport, New York.
Framingham State finished its season at 8-3.
The undefeated 11-0 Brockport Golden Eagles move on in the playoffs.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams received the opening kickoff of the game and were moving the ball after completed passes of 26 yards from junior Adam Wojenski to senior Napoleon Miller and 13 yards to senior Nasir Thomas
- The Rams moved the ball down to the Brockport 11 yard line after an eight yard completion from Wojenski to senior Mike Calicchio but the Golden Eagles stopped the Rams on fourth down turning the ball over on downs.
- Brockport got on the board on their ensuing possession with the only score of the first quarter, going 89 yards on 10 plays capped by a three yard touchdown run from junior quarterback Joe Germinerio.
- Brockport doubled the lead to 14-0 midway through the second quarter on a 20 yard touchdown pass from Germinerio to freshman Joe Benedict.
- After a Rams punt, the Golden Eagles added another score on a 24 yard pass from Germinerio to sophomore Alex Benson with 3:23 on the clock before the break. After an interception by the hosts, a 22 yard field goal would send them to the locker room leading 24-0.
- The Golden Eagles received the second half kickoff and were driving until senior DeSean Hart intercepted Germinerio at the Rams 47 and returned it to the Brockport 40.
- After an incompletion, Wojenski completed a 23 yard pass to Miller and followed that up with a 15 yard completion to sophomore Shaquille Joseph putting the ball on the two yard line. After a one yard gain by Wojenski, junior Rufus Rushins plowed into the end zone from a yard out for the Rams first score of the game. Freshman Henrique DeBoni converted the extra point and the Rams trailed 24-7 with 12:26 left in the third.
- On the next possession Brockport answered with a 68 yard touchdown pass by Germinerio, but the extra point failed and the lead was 30-7.
- The Rams cut into the lead in the closing minutes of the third. Wojenski completed a pair of 23 yard passes to Calicchio moving the ball into Brockport territory. Wojenski rushed for 10 yards moving the ball down to the 13 yard line. Miller found the end zone on the next play diving for the pylon on a 13 yard end around as time expired in the third.
- Brockport answered with a touchdown of their own on the first possession of the fourth, but the Rams responded with a score of their own.
- Miller gave the Rams good field position with a 28 yard kickoff return and Wojenski connected with Joseph for a 57 yard score on the first play from scrimmage. The Rams went for two and junior Joshua Smiley rushed in for the points cutting the deficit to 37-21 with 8:56 on the clock.
- A 27 yard field goal from Brockport with 1:27 on the clock pushed the lead to 40-21.
- After the kickoff, the Rams went deep in the playbook for a 59 yard gain. Wojenski completed a pass to Miller. Miller lateraled the ball to Calicchio who lateraled back to Wojenski who connected with Sebastien Robert. Robert raced down the sideline 59 yards, but was tackled at the Brockport 11.
- On the next play, Wojenski hit Joseph with an 11 yard scoring strike for the final points of the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wojenski finished the game completing 28 of 58 passes for 450 yards with two touchdowns and three pick.
- Calicchio finished the game with 11 catches for 135 yards, while Joseph finished with four grabs for 100 yards and two scored. Miller finished the game with six catches for 89 yards and rushed for 13 and a score.
- The Rams racked up 453 yards of total offense in the game against a Golden Eagle defense that was allowing negative rushing yards on the season.
- The Rams defense was led by 12 tackles from sophomore Anthony Behonick including two for a loss. Senior Eli Etienne added eight tackles and a pass breakup.
- Hart finished the game with four tackles, a pass breakup and an interception that led to a Rams touchdown.
Photo and release courtesy of Framingham State