By Westfield State athletics
WESTFIELD – The Framingham State men’s ice hockey team was defeated at Westfield State by a score of 3-0 on Saturday night at Amelia Park Ice Arena in Westfield.
With the loss, the Framingham State Rams fall to 1-2 overall and 0-2 in the Conference.
Westfield State improves to 3-1-1, and undefeated in the Conference at 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After nearly playing the entire first period with the man-advantage, the Owls finally broke through with 1:27 remaining on a shot from the slot from freshman Jake Ratcliffe (Canterbury, New Zealand) to make it 1-0 Owls.
- Westfield State would add to their lead midway through the second period when Danny Ferri sniped a shot past Rams goaltender Adam Calabrese (pictured, photo courtesy of Framingham State) high blocker side to put the Owls up 2-0.
- In the third, Westfield State would extend their lead for good when Ratcliffe would score his second of the game after an incredible effort to get the puck to the net and collect his own rebound to make it 3-0 Owls.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Westfield State outshot Framingham 39-24 in the contest.
- Thierry Messervier legged out 24 saves for the Owls, earning the shutout.
- Adam Calabrese contributed 36 for the the Rams.
- Framingham State resumes play on Tuesday, as they host Assumption College starting at 7:30 p.m. at Loring Arena