FRAMINGHAM – Framingham High School is competing in the 10th Annual WGBH High School Quiz Show.
Students from high schools across the Commonwealth were at the WGBH studio’s this past weekend for “Super Sunday.”
Super Sunday is a one-day qualifying event to determine the 16 teams that compete in televised matches of High School Quiz Show.
High School Quiz Show is an award-winning single-elimination academic team competition for all high school students in Massachusetts.
Framingham High competed against almost 100 different school this past weekend, said advisor Di Summer.
Framingham quiz bowl members are Junior Arjun Ramachandrula, junior Brian Chansky, senior Zachary Taggart, and junior Jack Landsiedel. Alternate members are sophomore Madeline Wissler and junior John Steenbruggen.
Teams are expected to be co-ed.
The top 16 teams are expected to be announced in mid-November.
High School Quiz Show is endorsed by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education and the Massachusetts PTA.
Questions on the show are aligned with the Massachusetts high school curriculum standards in subjects that include literature, history, civics, science and math, as well as current events and general knowledge.
High School Quiz Show Season 10 matches will be taped at the WGBH studios on the following dates in 2019:
- Saturday, January 19, 2019 (qualifying matches)
- Sunday, January 20, 2019 (qualifying matches)
- Saturday, January 26, 2019 (quarterfinals)
- Sunday, January 27, 2019 (semifinals; state championship; Invitational match 1)
- Monday, January 28, 2019 (Invitational matches 2 & 3/Championship)
- Saturday, February 2 & Sunday, February 3, 2019 (Backup dates in the event that matches are rescheduled due to inclement weather)
There is an audience for show tapings. Tickets are free, but must be reserved.
In addition to the title of High School Quiz Show State Champion, the winning team receives:
· A High School Quiz Show trophy
· Commemorative plaques for each team member and coach
· A banner for the school
· An award of $1000 toward the team/school to be used in such a way as deemed most appropriate and beneficial by the school’s administrators.
Additionally, the runner-up team receives an award of $500 toward their team/school.
Photo courtesy of ©2018 WGBH/Elizabeth Friar.