By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State men’s ice hockey team defeated visiting Post University by a score of 4-3 in the Rams season opener at recently renovated Loring Arena Thursday evening.
The win is also the first collegiate win for Framingham State’s first-year head coach Mike Bailey.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Rams opened up the scoring in a hurry scoring twice in the first five minutes. In the third minute Bryan Whelan scored the season’s first goal with assists from Trevor Lewandoski & Walker Hamilton.
- Just over a minute later Mason Ledbetter scored his first career goal with an assist from Ryan McDonough.
- The Eagles answered with a power play goal when Niko Grollman scored with an assist from Evan Lugo.
- The Rams scored late in the first when Hamilton beat the Eagles goalie Brandon Brown with help from Soren Colstrup and Ryan Paul
- The Eagles cut their deficit to 3-2 early in the second from when Jake Raleigh scored on the power play with help from Noah Wild and Nolan Arbuckle
- The Rams answered moments later on a power play of their own when Brandon Hamner found the back of the cage with help from McDonough and Jack Sheehan.
- The Eagles cut the deficit to one with just over five minutes to play when Kieran Hurley sent in a one-time pass from Raleigh off the post and in.
- Post had plenty of good looks in the third period but numerous athletic stops by Rams net minder Greg Harney kept the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Brown made 30 stops in net for the Eagles
- Harney made 46 stops in the cage for the Rams.
- The Hawks were 1-for- 8 on the power play and served ten minutes in the box on five penalties.
- The Rams were 1-for-5 on the man advantage and were in the box for 16 minutes on eight infractions.
- The Rams return to the ice on Tuesday, November 6, when they travel to SNHU for a 6:40 pm puck drop.