PHOTOS: History Center’s Evening Tour of Historic Edgell Grove Cemetery Sells Out

FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham History Center offered a evening tour of historic Edgell Grove Cemetery Sunday night, October 28.

The hour-long tour of the 50-acre cemetery, that is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, sold out before the event.

In 1846, Colonel Moses Edgell donated his Grove Street land to a Framingham committee seeking a new place for a cemetery.

“The committee, so impressed by the revolutionary rural design of the new Mt. Auburn Cemetery, sought the services of its designer, General Henry A.S. Dearborn, founder of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society and pioneer of the rural or garden cemetery. He charged $5.50 to design the site,” according to Cemetery Trustees.

Warren Nixon worked as surveyor on the cemetery. His grace was one of the stops on the tour.

The consecration of the Edgell Grove was held on Friday, October 13, 1848.

The first interment was of the wife of David Eames on October 22, 1848, which was the first grave site stop on the tour Sunday night.

The guided walking tour, attended by 90 individuals, also had stops at the burial sites of Revolutionary War soldiers, the Hemenway brothers, and Mr. & Mrs. Frances Lewis Wilson. The Wilsons lived in Haiti before moving to Prospect Street in Framingham.

The final stop was inside the beautiful chapel with storyteller Libby Franck.

***

Photos by Susan Petroni/Petroni Media Company for Framingham  SOURCE ©2018. All Rights Reserved.

High-resolution photos are available for purchase by emailing petronimedia@gmail.com

 

 

Framingham Source Editor Susan Petroni

Susan Petroni Framingham Source Editor Email: editor@FraminghamSource.com Phone: 508-315-7176

Leave a Reply