By Westfield State athletics
WESTFIELD – Framingham State junior Isaac De Souza (Sao Paulo, Brazil) scored in the 61st minute to tie host Westfield State.
The two teams ende dthe game at 1-1 at Alumni Field in Westfield, after a double overtime.
Framingham State is now 3-2-1 overall. Westfield Owls are now 1-3-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Owls got on the board early in the 14th minute when senior Josh Baillargeon booted home a beautiful pass from freshman Liam Kelly.
- After the early goal, Westfield State continued with a flurry of offense, but were unable to put another one past Rams goalkeeper Corey Davidge.
- Westfield and Framingham would trade chances throughout the rest of the first half, until a red card was given to sophomore goalkeeper Tyler Diotalevi forcing the Owls to play a man down for the remainder of the match.
- The Rams eventually capitalized on the man advantage in the 61st minute when De Souza put one past the dive of Seam Moore after a nice feed from Bryce Nardizzi (Framingham High graduate) to level the score at 1-1.
- In the 94th minute, Framingham State’s Ken Stahovish kicked one just wide off of a nice cross from Akeem Bucknor, keeping the game knotted at one.
- Moments later in the 98th minute, sophomore Jason Haji slid the ball over to Sinha Kunphel, who fired a shot riddled for the back of the net, but Davidge came up with an incredible diving save for the Rams to keep the game at 1-1.
- The two teams would trade chances in the dwindling minutes of the overtime period, but neither were able to break through, ending the game in a 1-1 draw.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Before the red card, Diotalevi made 3 saves and Moore finished with 10 for the Owls.
- Davidge finished with 5 saves for the Rams.
- The Rams held a slight advantage in shots 23-to-21.
The Rams will host Fisher College on Monday with the game beginning at 4:30 p.m.