By Framingham State athletics
WORCESTER – The Clark University men’s soccer team extended their winning streak to five games as they surged to a 6-1 victory over the Rams of Framingham State University on Wednesday night.
Clark University remains undefeated at 5-0. Framingham State University falls to 3-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cougars got on the board first when they were awarded a penalty kick just 7:13 into play. Junior Sean Munroe buried the penalty kick to the bottom left corner of the net for the 1-0 advantage.
- With 32 minutes on the clock junior Trevor Sheridan carried the ball up the left side and found Munroe who crossed the ball to freshman Connor Ross in the middle of the box and Ross found room in the bottom right corner for the 2-0 advantage.
- Clark closed out the half with a goal at the two-minute mark. First year Brian Brennan dished the ball to his classmate Derek Jones who recorded his third goal of the season to give Clark the 3-0 advantage heading into halftime.
- Nine minutes in to the second half the Cougars extended their lead to 4-0. Freshman Gregory Amadorfound Munroe at the top left of the box and Munroe released a shot that was deflected by the Rams goalkeeper, John Davidge. Ross picked up the rebound and finished to the back of the net for the 4-0 lead.
- The Rams responded just two minutes later when junior Bryce Nardizzi took a shot that hit the crossbar and freshman Ibrahim Kyeyune (Kampala, Uganda) picked up the rebound and knocked in their first tally of the game (4-1).
- The Cougars added another goal in the 57th minute of play when Amador crossed the ball to Munroe who headed it in for the 5-1 advantage.
- With 29 minutes remaining the Cougars were awarded another penalty kick. This time it was junior Jonathan Guilherme who put the ball to the top left as Davidge dove to his right. The Cougars held on for the final 29 minutes of play and took home the 6-1 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Munroe led Clark with two goals and two assists, Ross added two goals and Amador chipped in with two assists.
- Sophomore Melvin Vincent made two stops in net for Clark and improves to 3-0 on the season.
- Davidge made three saves and falls to 0-1 this season.
- Clark outshot the Rams 20-9 and 10-3 for shots on goal.
- The Cougars were awarded five corner kicks while Framingham State was awarded two.
Framingham State travels to Westfield State on Saturday for a 3 p.m.Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference game.