By Framingham State athletics
FRAMINGHAM – The Framingham State University football team received a pair of touchdown passes from junior Adam Wojenski and a pair of rushing scores for classmate Rufus Rushins as the Rams opened the 2018 season with a 34-13 victory over Endicott College at Framingham’s Bowditch Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Endicott took the opening drive of the game and drove 57 yards on 13 plays taking the lead on a 35 yard field goal by John Glaser.
- After missing a field goal on their first drive, the Rams scored the next 14 points of the game on a pair of first quarter touchdowns. An Endicott botched snap on a punt was recovered inside the one yard line by senior Marque Gibson setting up a one yard scoring run from Rushins and Wojenski hit senior Napoleon Miller for a 13 yard score.
- Endicott cut the deficit to 14-6 on a 24 yard field goal from Nick DiCairano with 8:45 remaining in the second, but the Rams pushed the lead to 21-6 on a 20 yard TD pass from Wojenski to sophomore Shaquille Joseph.
- Senior Quron Wright returned the opening kickoff of the second half 98 yards for a touchdown.
- Senior Rashaun Rivers’ interception and 47 yard return to the two yard line set up Rushins’ second touchdown of the game giving the Rams a 34-6 lead with just over nine minutes remaining in the game.
- Endicott received a five yard touchdown run from Dylan Bonfilio with just over seven minutes remaining in the third to account for the final points of the game
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Rams and the Gulls have met in the season opener since 2008 with the Rams winning the last six in a row. The Gulls last defeated the Rams in the 2012 season opener for both schools.
- Wojenski finished the game 17-of-27 for 183 yards with two touchdowns and no picks, while also rushing for 28 yards.
- Wright rushed for 78 yards on 13 carries, while returning three kickoffs for 141 yards including a school record 98 yard kickoff return.
- Senior Mike Calicchio caught four balls for 74 yards, while Miller made five catches for 50.
- Rivers and senior Kenneth Bartolo each recorded interceptions in the game for the Rams.
- Sophomore R.J. Fialli (Everett, Mass.) paced the defense with nine tackles, while junior Joshua Smiley added eight and a sack.
- Freshman Henrique De Boni (Rio Claro, Brazil) converted four-of-five extra points.
- Bonfilio completed 13-of-27 passes for 125 yards, while also rushing for 39 yards and a score for the Gulls, while Joe Kalosky completed seven passes for 67 yards with two interceptions.
- The Rams amassed 396 yards of total offense in the game including 213 on the ground, while the Gulls racked up 346 yards of offense.
The Rams are back in action next Saturday when the travel to Cortland for a non-conference matchup beginning at noon.