FRAMINGHAM – Mayor Yvonne Spicer has appointed 17 individuals to the Framingham Cultural Council, including 5 current members.
The Council awards grants to support a broad range of cultural activities. The funds are awarded to a school, a town department, an organization, or an individual.
The Framingham LCC is responsible for making the final decisions on how to best serve the cultural needs of Framingham in selecting grant recipients and the amount of each grant.
Council members can not serve more than 6 consecutive years. The Mayor has appointed new members to a 3-year term.
The Council can not have more than 21 members, per state statute.
The Mayor’s office said it received a total of 17 applicants.
An interview committee consisting of Parks & Recreation Director Jim Snyder, Parks & Recreation supervisor Trisha Powell, Human Resources Director Dolores Hamilton, and former Mayoral senior policy advisor Nadia Ullman interviewed 11 new applicants and made recommendations on appointments, according to a memo from the Mayor’s office.
Nominated for appointment to the Council were:
- Current member Joel Winett, District 3
- Current member Philip Kaplan, District 5
- Current member Kurt Fusaris, District 2
- Current member Lois Levick, District 1
- Current member Diane Markowitz, District 5
- Courtney Thraen, District 4, with term to end in 2020
- Samantha Loiseau, District 2 with term to end in 2020
- Rogerio Cupertino, District 8 with term to end in 2020
- Vanessa Pendexter, District 1 with term to end in 2020
- Marie Perez, District 3 with term to end in 2020
- Amy Bernstein, District 8 with term to end in 2020
- Shalini Jayarama, District 5 with term to end in 2020
- Mary Beth Sheetz, District 1 with term to end in 2019
- Darlyn Scott, District 1 with term to end in 2019
- Vicki Hammel, District 3 with term to end in 2019
- Chris Roppola, District 3 with term to end in 2019
- Angela Randolph, District 1 with term to end in 2019 (Mayor’s office said her application was late.)
SOURCE could not find an advertisement for the Committee on the City’s website, like the advertisements posted for for License Commission, Traffic Commission, Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, etc.
The City Council’s subcommittee on appointments, chaired by Cheryl Tully Stoll, will review the appointments and then make a recommendation to the full City Council to vote on the nominations to the Council.
The 11-member City Council still has to approve the appointment recommendations by the Mayor, before the individuals can be sworn in.
Two Ex-officio members were voted on by the Cultural Council on June 4, 2018:
1. Judy Levine, (2012-15, 2015-18) 1-y. (July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019)
2. Esther Powell, (2015-18) 1-y. (July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019)